Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How do I enable Clarity using Instant Config via Airwave?

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  How do I enable Clarity using Instant Config via Airwave?

Posted Mar 21, 2017 07:43 PM

This is going to sound beyond stupid, but here goes.  I'm trying to follow the instructions here so I can get Clarity up and running.  Right off the bat, it says

From the CLI, type:

show mgmt-servers

I'm clearly missing something, or that tutorial is clearly expecting me to know something I don't.  Because upon running that, I get a lovely "-bash: show: command not found".

So, could someone please explain to me how I should be running this?  I can only assume I need to enter some sort of 'config' command mode or something, similar to configuring a managed switch or router.  Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: How do I enable Clarity using Instant Config via Airwave?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 21, 2017 07:45 PM
    Those commands are when SSH'ed into the xontroller., not Airwave.

• 3.  RE: How do I enable Clarity using Instant Config via Airwave?

Posted Mar 21, 2017 07:48 PM

@cjoseph wrote:
    Those commands are when SSH'ed into the xontroller., not Airwave.

Ahh, that makes a lot more sense, thanks!

Ok, so, can I make these commands work for me at all to enable Clarity in Airwave?  Or do I need to do something entirely different?  Or *can* I even get Clarity working using only Airwave and Virtual Controllers at each physical site?

Right now, everything in Airwave > Clarity shows N/A and no information available.  I can only assume something isn't enabled correctly.

• 4.  RE: How do I enable Clarity using Instant Config via Airwave?

Posted Mar 21, 2017 09:51 PM

By virtual controller you mean IAP cirtual controller or virtual mobility controller (virtualized version of Aruba Mobility Controller).

For clarity for work, you need to have IAPs on OS code 6.5.

• 5.  RE: How do I enable Clarity using Instant Config via Airwave?

Posted Mar 21, 2017 10:03 PM
    In your instant or airwave you need to go to services and then enable the clarity options (dns, auth , dhcp , etc)

Get Outlook for iOS

• 6.  RE: How do I enable Clarity using Instant Config via Airwave?

Posted Mar 22, 2017 05:56 PM

@Victor Fabian wrote:
    In your instant or airwave you need to go to services and then enable the clarity options (dns, auth , dhcp , etc)

Ok, we're now on Airwave 8.2.3.1.  But when I go to Groups > Instant Config, select a Virtual Controller, and choose the Services tree from the Menu tab, I don't see the options you specified Victor.  In fact, I don't see any Clarity options, nor do I see the word 'Clarity' in any of the options for Instant via Airwave.

Firmware for the AP's is 6.4.4.8, which I think is the latest.

Am I missing something in order to get Clarity data showing up?  I see the feature is still in Beta...maybe that's why?

EDIT

Just thought of something else, does the model of AP matter for Clarity support?  Do only certain models support that?

• 7.  RE: How do I enable Clarity using Instant Config via Airwave?

Posted Mar 22, 2017 06:10 PM
    The AP needs to be running the latest 4.3.1.x code and Airwave 8.2.3.1

Get Outlook for iOS

• 8.  RE: How do I enable Clarity using Instant Config via Airwave?

Posted Mar 22, 2017 06:17 PM

@Victor Fabian wrote:
    The AP needs to be running the latest 4.3.1.x code and Airwave 8.2.3.1

Hm, ok maybe this is why I don't see the option.  I just checked, and the exact version our AP's are running shows as "6.4.4.8-4.2.4.5_57965".

I'm guessing 6.x is the firmware, and 4.x is the "code"? (Just trying to wrap my head around this)

If that's the case, I'm assuming there's an even newer version of the firmware than 6.4.4.8-4.2.4.5_57965 that contains a newer version of the "code"?  Sorry again for not completely understanding this, I think I'm getting there.  Really appreciate your time.

• 9.  RE: How do I enable Clarity using Instant Config via Airwave?

Posted Mar 22, 2017 06:26 PM
    The IAP will need to be running 6.5.1.x-4.3.1.x code (Early Release) in order to support Clarity Live

• 10.  RE: How do I enable Clarity using Instant Config via Airwave?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 22, 2017 06:53 PM

That is correct, you need AirWave running 8.2.3.1 and InstanOS minimum version 6.5.1.0-4.3.1.0 (Early Release).

Extract from the latest Release Note:

Clarity Live
    Instant now supports inline monitoring through Clarity Live to identify client connectivity issues and send the data to AirWave for analysis. It helps in isolating the root cause of the connectivity issues experienced by receiving regular statistics and updates generated by the events. For more information, see:
    - Clarity Live in Aruba Instant 6.5.1.0-4.3.1.0 User Guide.

- Clarity,show clarity config, and show clarity history in Aruba Instant 6.5.1.0-4.3.1.0 CLI Reference Guide.

But, I would recommand to use the latest EA version 6.5.1.0-4.3.1.2 as per discussion with my local SE who contributed to debug some stuff in previous version...

• 11.  RE: How do I enable Clarity using Instant Config via Airwave?

Posted Mar 22, 2017 08:07 PM

Ah!  Thank you both very much.  So just to confirm, this is a "beta" release and isn't actually fully supported yet?  Since it's Early Release/beta, do you know when it's scheduled approximately to hit mainstream/stable?

• 12.  RE: How do I enable Clarity using Instant Config via Airwave?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 22, 2017 09:07 PM

Most IAP-3xx series require 6.5.x.x-4.3.x.x as minimum code which is still EA so I expect these version to be supported somehow as Aruba sell a lot of these! Just be carefull if you plan to have it in a production environment, maybe do a pilot with only one IAP cluster first to see if everything works fine for you. I can suggest you to look at the latest release note in the "known issues" section to see if you find something that might be problematic in you environment.

I have no idea about the timeframe for a GA code release in 6.5.x.x. as I don't work for Aruba. The latest GA code though is Release 6.4.4.8-4.2.4.6

I personally run 4.2.4.5 in my environment as it fix earlier vulnerability and it's a stable release. I'm waiting feedback from my SE before trying 6.5.x.x and also because my controller based environment is still in 6.4.x.x.

BTW I don't understand why Clarity is not available in Instant 6.4.3.x or later as it's available in ArubaOS 6.4.3.x... I thought ArubaOS and InstantOS features were targetted to be aligned in version... anyway, that's another topic! :)

• 13.  RE: How do I enable Clarity using Instant Config via Airwave?

Posted Jun 08, 2017 02:48 PM

Is it possible to check if Airwave is receiving Clarity data from Instant?

I have AMP 8.2.4 and IAP215 cluster with Instant 6.5.2.1 VC in managed mode. All 4 Clarity boxes checked, AMP Clarity feature enabled in additional AMP features.

After an hour still no Clarity data. I can manage the VC from Airwave though, if I add a network it is visible.

This is a test for a big customer with multiple VC's in Europe, currently monitored by AMP

txs

Erik

• 14.  RE: How do I enable Clarity using Instant Config via Airwave?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 08, 2017 02:56 PM

Hi Erik,

Yes, we can surely check it from Airwave CLI. However, being on 8.2.4 the root access would be locked up for you. So, i would suggest to involve the TAC so that they can take the root access and analyze on this.

• 15.  RE: How do I enable Clarity using Instant Config via Airwave?

Posted Mar 22, 2017 06:39 PM

If you are using the instant GUI option in AIrwave to configure your IAP then you go to Services > Clarity Live and enable the different options available 

Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 6.31.08 PM.png

From CLI / Template based:

IAP-215 (config) # clarity

IAP-215 (clarity) # inline-auth-stats

IAP-215 (clarity) # inline-dhcp-stats

IAP-215 (clarity) # inline-dns-stats

IAP-215 (clarity) # inline-sta-stats

• 16.  RE: How do I enable Clarity using Instant Config via Airwave?

Posted Mar 22, 2017 11:35 AM

@jibran_aziz wrote:

By virtual controller you mean IAP cirtual controller or virtual mobility controller (virtualized version of Aruba Mobility Controller).

Sorry, IAP (Instant Virtual Controller residing on one of the AP's at each site).

For clarity for work, you need to have IAPs on OS code 6.5.

Now, is "OS code" different than firmware?  We have no hardware controllers, only Airwave for management and Instant VC's.

• 17.  RE: How do I enable Clarity using Instant Config via Airwave?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 22, 2017 04:56 AM

Also, if these are instant APs, make sure we are on Airwave version 8.2.3.1, as the clarity feature for instant is supported from 8.2.3.1 version of Airwave.

• 18.  RE: How do I enable Clarity using Instant Config via Airwave?

Posted Mar 22, 2017 11:37 AM

@Vishnu Mannil wrote:

Also, if these are instant APs, make sure we are on Airwave version 8.2.3.1, as the clarity feature for instant is supported from 8.2.3.1 version of Airwave.

Ah!  Good to know.  I believe Airwave is running 8.2.1.1 in our organization.

• 19.  RE: How do I enable Clarity using Instant Config via Airwave?

Posted Mar 22, 2017 06:09 PM
    Local management or via Airwave if you go to services you can enable Clarity

Get Outlook for iOS