Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How do I reapply an update/upgrade I backed out of?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  How do I reapply an update/upgrade I backed out of?

Posted Jun 12, 2016 04:44 PM

I have 3 ClearPass servers (25K).  I was upgrading them from 6.5.5 to 6.6.0.  I had alotted 2 hours for the upgrade, but it took 2 1/2 hours for just the publisher.  I had no choice but stop the upgrade and revert to the old version because of time.  I manually switched the boot images on all 3 servers to the 6.5.5 partition.  I had completed the upgrade on the publisher and applied the upgrade to the 2 subscribers but had not rebooted into the 6.6.0 partition.

I have to wait 2 weeks before I can try the upgrade again (giving myself more time).  How do I perform the upgrade again from 6.5.5 to 6.6.0?  If I just switch the boot image to the already upgraded partition, I won't get any of the data from the two weeks I was running the 6.5.5 partition.  The Software Upgrade screen does not give me the option to install the 6.6.0 upgrade anymore on any of the servers.  I assume, since I didn't complete the upgrade on the subscribers, they will get all the infromation from the 6.5.5 partition once I boot from the 6.6.0 partition for the first time.

Any ideas?  Did that even make sense?

Edmund C. Greene

Systems Integrator

Boston College

ed@bc.edu

• 2.  RE: How do I reapply an update/upgrade I backed out of?

Posted Jun 13, 2016 05:47 AM

How were you upgrading the servers? Were you using the upgrade tool or doing it manually?

I tried using the upgrade tool when migrating from 6.4 to 6.5 and it failed miserably. The tool was taking a server off line to up grade and it was taking so long that the next one to be upgraded was taken off line  before the 1st one had completed. I was sitting there watching all the servers in the cluster dropping off  by one.

Eventually I went back to the 6.4.x release and upgraded the servers manually ... woosh!! didn't time it, but it was a lot fster than the upgrade tool method

Alex

• 3.  RE: How do I reapply an update/upgrade I backed out of?

Posted Jun 13, 2016 06:40 AM

I upgaded it manually.

However, it looks like overnight, the option to upgrade to 6.6.0 appeared again, so I'm good to go.

Ed

• 4.  RE: How do I reapply an update/upgrade I backed out of?

Posted Jun 14, 2016 07:24 AM

If the upgrade option doesn't show anymore, you should create a case with Aruba TAC. They can remove the files from the failed upgrade. After that the system recognizes it as the next possible upgrade and you should be able to retry. 

Also experienced issues when upgrading with the CUT tool. Eventually only half the cluster was upgraded with the cut tool. The 2 other subscribers were upgraded manually.