Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How do i can change AP's IP address from Controller

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  How do i can change AP's IP address from Controller

Posted Jan 22, 2018 11:54 PM

Hi all,

I have 100 AP's that recieve IP address from controller, after AP provision, i want change their IP to static for easily management. How do i can do this from the controller?

Any one can help me resolve my problem?

Many Thanks for help.

• 2.  RE: How do i can change AP's IP address from Controller
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 23, 2018 04:00 AM

Hi,

When you provision the AP, you can statically assign an IP address.  There is an IP settings section and you can fill in IP address, Subnet mask , Gateway, DNS and domain name. The IP will reboot with that IP address.

Why do you want to statically assign an IP to 100 AP's? I'd rather use DHCP.

• 3.  RE: How do i can change AP's IP address from Controller

Posted Jan 23, 2018 04:24 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Borja

• 4.  RE: How do i can change AP's IP address from Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 23, 2018 04:30 AM

Hi,

The antenna instructions should have the gain that you need to put when you provision the AP.

• 5.  RE: How do i can change AP's IP address from Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 23, 2018 07:03 AM

By the way, statically assigning ip addresses does not make it easier, it makes it harder.  The controller keeps track of ip addresses of APs, as well as model numbers.  The system was designed to avoid the problem of maintaining long lists of static ip addressing and to avoid issues like duplicate ip addresses causing problems and outages.  Also, if you ever wanted to change subnet addressing, you would have to touch every individual AP to change the subnet.  If you ever accidentally gave an AP an incorrect ip address, subnet mask or default gateway, you might have to go up in the ceiling and use a console cable to recover it.  Lastly, maintaining a table of which AP has which ip address is tedious and error-prone.

In my experience, the majority of companies that have tried to use static ip addresses had to revert months later due to the issues above.

• 6.  RE: How do i can change AP's IP address from Controller

MVP
    Posted Jan 23, 2018 07:30 AM

@petpkcui wrote:

i want change their IP to static for easily management.

That right there is a contradictio in terminis.

How would having to manage 100 IP addresses help with easy management?

With a controller you should pretty much never need the ip adres of any single AP.

• 7.  RE: How do i can change AP's IP address from Controller

Posted Jan 23, 2018 09:19 AM

Hi all,

I'm really appreciate your comment and suggestions with my problem.

As Colin mentioned above, static ip addressing may cause duplicate IP address after devices reboot by power failure.Perhaps, management devices based on location or devices name will more easily.

Many thanks for your help.