Wireless Access

last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How do you like your Aruba 620 controller with wireless access APs?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  How do you like your Aruba 620 controller with wireless access APs?

Posted Jan 22, 2014 10:25 PM

Greetings all,

Very interested in your experiences with Aruba gear, and your specific use cases for a single 620 controller and one or two APs. We have a very busy coffee shop that requires to sustain management of 35-50 minimum wireless devices (with a ceiling of 100) over a 2000 sq. foot area. The current SOHO options have not been scalable. Any tips on sizing, as well as design considerations would be highly appreciated.

Thank you!

• 2.  RE: How do you like your Aruba 620 controller with wireless access APs?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 22, 2014 10:26 PM

If you are looking at purchasing, then consider Aruba Instant...

cloud.arubanetworks.com

• 3.  RE: How do you like your Aruba 620 controller with wireless access APs?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 22, 2014 10:27 PM

Do you already own the 620 controller? If not, I would recommend Aruba Instant for this type of deployment. No controller needed.

• 4.  RE: How do you like your Aruba 620 controller with wireless access APs?

Posted Jan 23, 2014 12:04 AM

Unless you have the controller already and is looking at feature rich WiFi else like what  the rest mention Instant APs should be sufficient for your senarios, try using IAP105 or IAP115.

Gordon

• 5.  RE: How do you like your Aruba 620 controller with wireless access APs?

Posted Jan 23, 2014 12:27 AM

Thanks all for the tips!

Looks like the IAPs should do the trick, but still needs a switch/router I assume, since the IAPs don't have DHCP servers built in correct? Or does the magical dynamiclly chosen IAP also do DHCP?

Was looking at the IAP-93, but looks like that is discontinued but still available from some resellers.

Thanks!

• 6.  RE: How do you like your Aruba 620 controller with wireless access APs?

Posted Jan 23, 2014 01:31 AM

Yes, the migical IAPs is a DHCP server via the VC.

Gordon

• 7.  RE: How do you like your Aruba 620 controller with wireless access APs?

Posted Jan 23, 2014 01:32 AM

I alway recommend to use dualk radio APs thus IAP93 is not  a choice unless pricing is an issue.

Gordon

• 8.  RE: How do you like your Aruba 620 controller with wireless access APs?

Posted Jan 23, 2014 02:37 AM

Thanks again all! Based on some comments, it looks like the IAP-93 is good for ~30 users, while the IAP-105 is good for around double that. Based on this, it's either three IAP-93 units, or two IAP-105 should do the trick.

Sounds like all I need now is a PoE switch!

• 9.  RE: How do you like your Aruba 620 controller with wireless access APs?

Posted Jan 23, 2014 03:42 AM

Get a S1500 12 Port switch. You will have a complete solution.

• 10.  RE: How do you like your Aruba 620 controller with wireless access APs?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 23, 2014 07:20 AM

The S1500-12P offers 8 ports of PoE and integrates with the Instant APs.

http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/products/Matrix_MobilitySwitches.pdf

Rogue AP containment—When a rogue AP is detected by an IAP, it sends the MAC Address of the rogue AP to the MAS. The MAS blacklists the MAC address of the rogue AP and turns off the PoE on the port.

PoE prioritization— When an IAP is connected directly into the MAS port, the MAS increases the PoE priority of the port. This is done only if the PoE priority is set by default in the MAS.

GVRP Integration—Configuring GARP VLAN Registration Protocol (GVRP) in ArubaOS MAS enables the switch to dynamically register or de-register VLAN information received from a GVRP applicant such as an IAP. GVRP also enables the switch to propagate the registered VLAN information to the neighboring switches in the network.

• 11.  RE: How do you like your Aruba 620 controller with wireless access APs?

Posted Jan 23, 2014 05:46 PM

Well, if I'm going to buy an S1500 I might as well get the 620 controller if I only have 3-4 access points, no?

If the money was the same for the following solutions, would you rather have:

1) a 620 with three non-Instant APs

2) an S1500 with three Instant APs

Thanks!

• 12.  RE: How do you like your Aruba 620 controller with wireless access APs?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 23, 2014 05:48 PM
    You’ll have more flexibility with the S1500 with the extra ports. It’s a bit more future-proof.

Sent from Surface Pro

• 13.  RE: How do you like your Aruba 620 controller with wireless access APs?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 23, 2014 05:48 PM
    NO! The 1500 gives you so much more. Plus with the 620 you need licensing!

• 14.  RE: How do you like your Aruba 620 controller with wireless access APs?

Posted Jan 23, 2014 08:41 PM
    I would take into consideration that 620 had EOS already and it can only provide PoE on FE ports and not GE ports.

Gordon

• 15.  RE: How do you like your Aruba 620 controller with wireless access APs?

Posted Jan 23, 2014 10:30 PM

Hey all, thanks for the comments! A few thoughts, and correct me if I'm wrong here: EOS != EOL, correct? I do believe the 620 will still be supported until 1-Oct-2018 for some models and 31-Dec-2018 for others.

• 16.  RE: How do you like your Aruba 620 controller with wireless access APs?

Posted Jan 23, 2014 10:33 PM

Yes you are right, after End of Sales, Aruba willnormally support the product a=fr another 5 year then it will offcially EOL can check the EOS/EOL of equipment on the following web link.

http://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/end-of-life-products/

Gordon

• 17.  RE: How do you like your Aruba 620 controller with wireless access APs?

Posted Jan 25, 2014 11:06 PM

Thanks for all your info everyone, I ended up getting the following:

* a new 620 with
    * Two AP125 (New in Box)
    * One AP105 (New in Box)
    * One AP65  (New in Box)

* One New Aruba RAP-5WN

for way under my budget.

Thanks!!

• 18.  RE: How do you like your Aruba 620 controller with wireless access APs?

Posted Jan 26, 2014 07:46 PM

Great enjoy your new WiFi.