Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How does Virtual Controller generate passphrase?

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  How does Virtual Controller generate passphrase?

Posted May 15, 2018 03:45 AM

Hello!

The following thing happened to my virtual mobility controller:

I have a standalone mobility controller running on an Esxi in a vlan 30 virtual switch. I moved the controller to the vlan 40, and gave it an ip adress from that ip range, and changed the default gateway too. After doing some tests, I moved the controller back into the vlan 30, and changed the ip adress back to the vlan 30 range (actually the same ip as before). Then I tried connecting an AP to it (the same AP that was once provisioned by that controller) and the AP wouldn't broadcast its SSID-s. After checking the AP I discovered that the controller is unlicenced.

I still had 10 days on my eval licence. I tried to reupload the eval licence I got for the controller, when it gave me a passphrase mismatch. So by moving the controller to a different vlan, the passphrase somehow changed.

The question is, why did the controller loose its licences, and why did the passphrase change?

Its a demo controller, so applying for a new eval licence is no biggie, but in a production environment this would be a problem. 

Could someone help?

Daniel Katai

• 2.  RE: How does Virtual Controller generate passphrase?

Posted Jun 14, 2018 05:37 AM

Simular issue in that a valid trial license is no longer installed and cant reinstall it as the passpahse has changed.

• 3.  RE: How does Virtual Controller generate passphrase?
    Best Answer

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jun 14, 2018 05:51 AM

The Passphrase is generated using UUID parameter which is supposed to be unique for each VM device. Each virtual machine is automatically assigned a universally unique identifier (UUID). Did the UUID change when you was swapping between VLAN's?

#show license passphrase
    #show inventory