Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How long will Aruba continue to support 6.3 now 6.4 is GA?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  How long will Aruba continue to support 6.3 now 6.4 is GA?

Posted Jul 04, 2014 10:40 AM

Can anyone tell me how long will Aruba continue to support 6.3 now 6.4 is GA? I have to look at replacing some aging AP's and need to know in reality how long I have?

Thanks

Kudos to the best answer...

• 2.  RE: How long will Aruba continue to support 6.3 now 6.4 is GA?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 04, 2014 10:43 AM
    Just for some perspective, 6.1 and some 5.x code is still supported. There's not exact date but it will be a while. You'll likely only see new features in newer code trains.

• 3.  RE: How long will Aruba continue to support 6.3 now 6.4 is GA?
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 04, 2014 10:55 AM

Here you can see the info you are looking for

http://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/end-of-life-products/

You will see when they stop developing the release and when they stop giving suppport

Cheers

Carlos

• 4.  RE: How long will Aruba continue to support 6.3 now 6.4 is GA?

Posted Jul 04, 2014 11:23 AM

Thanks both.  

Cheers for the link Carlos,  really helpful.  I knew the End-of-life page would be out there. 

Regards.

• 5.  RE: How long will Aruba continue to support 6.3 now 6.4 is GA?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 04, 2014 04:29 PM

@AC-Jon wrote:

Can anyone tell me how long will Aruba continue to support 6.3 now 6.4 is GA? I have to look at replacing some aging AP's and need to know in reality how long I have?

Thanks

Kudos to the best answer...

To be clear, 6.4 is not GA yet...

• 6.  RE: How long will Aruba continue to support 6.3 now 6.4 is GA?

Posted Jul 06, 2014 05:48 PM

6.4.1.0 is very far from GA.  I, personally, ran into two very serious issues - Master/Local communications are broken, and GRE tunnels do not work.

So far, 6.3.1.x is a much more stable option.

Just my 2c. :)

• 7.  RE: How long will Aruba continue to support 6.3 now 6.4 is GA?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 06, 2014 05:51 PM
    Can you elaborate on those? I've been running 6.4.x for almost 7 months now and havent seen any of those issues.

• 8.  RE: How long will Aruba continue to support 6.3 now 6.4 is GA?

Posted Jul 06, 2014 05:59 PM

7 months? If I memory serves me right, 6.4.1 was just released less than two weeks ago.  

It is quite possible that the two issues I discovered are regressions in this particular code. I must admit, I did not try any other version of 6.4.

As for specifics, I have GRE tunnels between Local & DMZ controllers that carry a single VLAN.  Right after the upgrade from 6.3.1.8 to 6.4.1.0, the healthchecks on those tunnels started failing and Link state stayed Down.  Master/Local problem was rather weird - communications between the two were working fine from the Layer3 perspective but Local was complaining that it couldn't contact the master, and Master was having in "SENDING UPDATE" (or something similar) after "wr mem" which forces configuration propagation.

• 9.  RE: How long will Aruba continue to support 6.3 now 6.4 is GA?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 06, 2014 06:04 PM
    Garryshtern,

Is there a ticket# assigned to this behavior so that we can report on the status to the community? We do not like unresolved behavior.

• 10.  RE: How long will Aruba continue to support 6.3 now 6.4 is GA?

Posted Jul 06, 2014 06:13 PM

I don't have a ticket for these particular issues. I must admit, I am holding off on the sidelines until next release to see if QA has discovered and fixed it, themselves. :))))

Just kidding. Truth of the matter is that I discovered this in one of my environments that I upgraded but couldn't afford to keep in this state long enough to have TAC troubleshoot, so I downgraded it back.

• 11.  RE: How long will Aruba continue to support 6.3 now 6.4 is GA?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 06, 2014 06:16 PM
    Garryshtern,

We do not report everything that is fixed in the release notes, so you may never know.

• 12.  RE: How long will Aruba continue to support 6.3 now 6.4 is GA?

Posted Jul 06, 2014 06:21 PM

Understood, but I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will be discovered and fixed before I attempt to go to 6.4, again. 

• 13.  RE: How long will Aruba continue to support 6.3 now 6.4 is GA?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 06, 2014 06:36 PM

That is unadvised.  I hope others will report issues and check to see if they are fixed in target versions of code, before upgrading so that their users are not adversely affected.