Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How many concurrent client connect to AP

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  How many concurrent client connect to AP

Posted Jan 22, 2014 02:08 AM

Dear,

i have trouble with my AP type 92, trouble if i to try connect Wifi with gadget (Ipad,iphone and adnroid) some time is so difficult to connectly. but no isue if notebook if trying to connect.

can i know what best practice for installation Ap type 92!

and How many concurrent user for AP type 92!

thanks,

• 2.  RE: How many concurrent client connect to AP

Posted Jan 22, 2014 03:10 AM

If your notebook works fine, but the other device is not (on the same SSID, same role etc), this generally suggests an issue with that device's behaviour (if you're sitting in the same place). I'd recommend upgrading the AP92 to the latest code to rule that out, and apply any upgrades to the device relevant to the OS or WiFi bevahiour. If you've already done that, it's likely to be a very low level interopation or RF problem. In which case, troubleshooting on here might become frustrating for you. You're better off logging it with Aruba TAC.

The second question is a very age old one now (how many clients per AP). There is no right or wrong answer from a technical point of view, other than it depends. It depends on the client device application demands, local RF quality, number of concurrent services, backend network configuration amongst other things.

However, the very very simplistic view, is that client count per AP (operating at a "good" level) is somewhere between 15-25. It certainly isn't 2! It can go higher in circumstances (for example) where users are given internet only access of course (perhaps with contracts or traffic management).

• 3.  RE: How many concurrent client connect to AP

Posted Jan 22, 2014 03:58 AM

Hi, thanks for ur reply

'The second question is a very age old one now (how many clients per AP). There is no right or wrong answer from a technical point of view, other than it depends. It depends on the client device application demands, local RF quality, number of concurrent services, backend network configuration amongst other things.'

Whats the meaning for "number concurrent service" (is it application running on client device!)

What do you mean about "local RF quality"  (clent device hardware or AP 92)

Thanks

• 4.  RE: How many concurrent client connect to AP
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 22, 2014 04:24 AM

By concurrent services, I mean SSIDs really (or VAPs in controller world). For instance, if you have 1 wireless network (SSID) configured on the AP, performance will be better than if you had say 8 for example (which isn't a good plan). I mentiond application demands separately. This number and type of applications on the WiFi device = it's demand. And this varies WILDY.

Local RF quality is affected by local interference and noise. Noise comes from non-WiFi devices (like microwaves and door sensors etc.) and interference comes from other WiFi sources (competing APs etc.). In a city, WiFi quality can be quite poor. In a house in the countryside, generally speaking it's excellent.

• 5.  RE: How many concurrent client connect to AP

Posted Jan 23, 2014 10:30 PM

I had the same issue with myc customer using the 90 series AP. As these APs are on a single mode only 2.4 or 5 GHz thus most of these are deployed using 2.;4GHz which has a lot of interference in his environment. If yo have many devices and they can support the 5GHz you should try to get dual mode APs like AP105 etc.We see a performance boost and also more clients connected. On how many clients can connect to an AP that is subjective as it base on some many factors, bandwidth of apps etc.

Gordon