Wireless Access

Highlighted
Regular Contributor II

How to Upgrade and Convert IAP-325 to a new version in the most efficient way?

Greetings,

This is my first project with Aruba Wireless devices.  The new controllers and Access Points were purchased 1 year ago and because there was turnover in the company the new Aruba Devices were not worked on and deployed yet.

Hence, they hired me and I am trying to get everything working as soon as possible.  I noticed that when I Powered On one of the new Access Points (IAP-325, right out of the box) it had verison 6.444 and I was not able convert the IAP to a CAP.  Aruba support assisted me in upgrading the version to 6.5 and then I was able to convert the Instant-AP to a Campus-AP.

We have 48 different AP's that we would like to update that have never been powered on. I know how to update the AP's individually; but...

Question1:  Is there an easier way to do an upgrade for all of the new AP's (An Instant-AP Cluster perhaps)?  

Question2:  When the new AP's have been converted and recognized by the mobility controller (veriosn 8.3.0.3), will the new CAP be automatically upgraded to verison 8.0.3 or wil that happen when they are provisioned?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Guru Elite

Re: How to Upgrade and Convert IAP-325 to a new version in the most efficient way?

1.  Form as large a cluster as you can with the IAPs, and then convert them all at the same time.

2.  The access points will have whatever version of ArubaOS is on the controller after you convert them.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Video Knowledge Base
Remote Access Point Solution Guide
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
ArubaOS 8 ViA VPN Solution Guide

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Regular Contributor II

Re: How to Upgrade and Convert IAP-325 to a new version in the most efficient way?

I see fron the attached user guide that an IAP cluster is automatically created when Aruba IAPs are connected ot the same VLan(page 23).

So is my understanding correct that

1.  If I upgrade the firmware on the master AP (login to the Web UI and upgrade the firmware image) that the firmware will be spread to the other IAPs in the same cluster?

2.  Then I can convert the Master AP(whichever has the longest uptime) from IAP to CAP and the other AP's in teh cluster will follow?

3.  Then when the APs are converted to the Campus-APs then they will be recognized by the Aruba COntrller on teh same VLan and be upgrade again to the same verison as the Controller?

4.  On page 66 it states that "APs running the manufacturing image cannot form an Instant AP cluster."  What is the manufacturing image verison?  is it 6.444?  If it is, then this plan maynot work.

MVP

1. Yes this is correct. However, if you are to cluster an IAP 325 with another firmware family like the IAP 305 has, you need to upgrade/downgrade that IAP 305 to the same firmware as the IAP 325,

before you cluster them. 

2. Yes this is also correct, you can see this guide:

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/How-to-convert-a-whole-IAP-cluster-as-Campus-APs/ta-p/215053

3. Correct, once your controller gets a connection with the newly converted CAPs, they will be upgraded to the same version as the controller.

4. Interesting, dont actually know what it means, but I find it hard to believe that you wouldnt be able to cluster with the firmware your APs came with.

Aranya AB, Sweden
ACMP, ACCA, CWNA, CWDP

All Replies
Highlighted
Guru Elite

1.  Form as large a cluster as you can with the IAPs, and then convert them all at the same time.

2.  The access points will have whatever version of ArubaOS is on the controller after you convert them.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Video Knowledge Base
Remote Access Point Solution Guide
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
ArubaOS 8 ViA VPN Solution Guide

Highlighted
Regular Contributor II

I see fron the attached user guide that an IAP cluster is automatically created when Aruba IAPs are connected ot the same VLan(page 23).

So is my understanding correct that

1.  If I upgrade the firmware on the master AP (login to the Web UI and upgrade the firmware image) that the firmware will be spread to the other IAPs in the same cluster?

2.  Then I can convert the Master AP(whichever has the longest uptime) from IAP to CAP and the other AP's in teh cluster will follow?

3.  Then when the APs are converted to the Campus-APs then they will be recognized by the Aruba COntrller on teh same VLan and be upgrade again to the same verison as the Controller?

4.  On page 66 it states that "APs running the manufacturing image cannot form an Instant AP cluster."  What is the manufacturing image verison?  is it 6.444?  If it is, then this plan maynot work.

MVP

1. Yes this is correct. However, if you are to cluster an IAP 325 with another firmware family like the IAP 305 has, you need to upgrade/downgrade that IAP 305 to the same firmware as the IAP 325,

before you cluster them. 

2. Yes this is also correct, you can see this guide:

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/How-to-convert-a-whole-IAP-cluster-as-Campus-APs/ta-p/215053

3. Correct, once your controller gets a connection with the newly converted CAPs, they will be upgraded to the same version as the controller.

4. Interesting, dont actually know what it means, but I find it hard to believe that you wouldnt be able to cluster with the firmware your APs came with.

Aranya AB, Sweden
ACMP, ACCA, CWNA, CWDP

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: