Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How to change the Hostname of a controller without jepordizing production.

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  How to change the Hostname of a controller without jepordizing production.

Posted May 22, 2019 03:38 PM

Hello,

We have 2 Mobility Masters and several satalite offices.  We have a naming convention for each site and we want the local controllers at each site to correspond to the Locaiton naming scheme.

For Example, in the Aruba Wireless Mobility Master you will see:

2 x Mobility Masters

Then a group that has the Locaiton Name.

etc

See the attached picture.  Within the group we have 2 x Local Controllers (MDs).  There is a Hadware Cluster configured for each 2 Lcoal controlelrs per gorup.  Hence the 2 x Local controlelrs in Group 01, 02, etc have a Virtual IP address (VRRP) setup for redundancy in case any of the hardware controlers have a problem the Access Points will use the other availabel controller.

Well I am in a situation where Group '02' is live in production and I need to rename the hostnames for those local controllers.  You canb see from the picture that group 02 has NSH009008 & NSH009009.  Well I have been asked to change then name for both controllers.

I know that I manually added the MDs to each group.  I needed to type the Hostname and the MAC address when I added the MD to the Group 02.  My questions are:

1.  How may I safely rename the hostname for those controllers without erasing any configuration or jepardizing prodcutivity.

2.  I am afraid of the MDs that I manually typed in the hostname.  Will I need to manually edit those entries as well?

3.  Wil the users be disrupted in any way when I chang ethe name on the controller side?  Or from the MM-Group-COntroller side?

• 2.  RE: How to change the Hostname of a controller without jepordizing production.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 22, 2019 03:53 PM

I don't know about the group, but you can change the name on the commandline this way:

SSH into the MM

Type "show configuration node-hierarchy"

cd <current name of controller>

config t

hostname "new-name"

write mem

Type "show configuration node-hierarchy" to see the change

The GUI will only show the change if you login and log out after making sure all configuration changes are pushed.

So far it has not disrupted my wifi...

• 3.  RE: How to change the Hostname of a controller without jepordizing production.

Posted May 22, 2019 07:24 PM

If I change the name of the host, I would like to chang ethe name of teh host in the hierarchy as well.  Would that mean I should 

1.  Change the name of the Host via command linr or Web UI first.

2.  Then change th ename of the host from the hierarchy?  See the scren shot.  The MAC address will stay the same.

• 4.  RE: How to change the Hostname of a controller without jepordizing production.

Posted Jun 03, 2019 12:29 PM

If I change the hostname (for the local controller) from the Command line or the Web UI (while logged on through the Mobility Master) will that new 'hostname' be erase any already configured settings?

Has anyone ever done that before?  Or perhaps can anyone do this in a lab environment?

• 5.  RE: How to change the Hostname of a controller without jepordizing production.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 03, 2019 12:53 PM

Changing the hostname using the "hostname" like I did above will change the name in the GUI, but not affect any configuration.

• 6.  RE: How to change the Hostname of a controller without jepordizing production.

Posted Jun 12, 2019 02:41 PM

I am preparing to conduct the name change during a planned maintenance window. 

I am wondering if the hostname change will require a reboot of the controller?  

• 7.  RE: How to change the Hostname of a controller without jepordizing production.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 12, 2019 03:35 PM

It does not.  What matters is the mac address of the controller.  The hostname is just a label.

• 8.  RE: How to change the Hostname of a controller without jepordizing production.

Posted Jun 12, 2019 04:53 PM
    No

Thank you

Victor Fabian

Pardon typos sent from Mobile