Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How to clear managed network configuration?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  How to clear managed network configuration?

Posted Apr 12, 2020 12:43 AM

Hello all.

I have a pre-production VMM cluster with 2 new hardware controllers that I'm trying to bring online. (7240XM replacing 7240.)

I used the migration tool in preview mode and then copy/pasted the resulting default-global file into the /md node. It wasn't until later I noticed the recommendation in the user guide not to make edits at this level.

Is there any way to reset the /md node to defaults and start over, without also rebuilding the VMM and starting from scratch?

Unfortunately, I don't have physical access to the controllers right now as the campus is locked down and this is not a production system yet.

I'd appreciate any insights.

• 2.  RE: How to clear managed network configuration?
    Best Answer

MVP GURU
    Posted Apr 12, 2020 05:33 PM

Unfortunately no. You would have to write erase the mobility master/masters, and start from scratch. The MD level will also not show a blue dot for override settings, these only change for inherited configs. Since this is at the top level, it wont throw that flag.

• 3.  RE: How to clear managed network configuration?

Posted Apr 13, 2020 06:40 PM

That's what I was afraid of.  Since I no longer have physical access and the controllers weren't set up for ZTP, it may be a challenge to rebuild.

Thanks for the response.

Andrew

• 4.  RE: How to clear managed network configuration?

MVP GURU
    Posted Apr 13, 2020 07:51 PM

I’m pretty sure if you wiped the vMMs and added the MDs to it after it was set back up, they should still be trying to get to the vMMs. Once they reconnect, they should sync their config.

If you can get someone to wire up the furthest port to the right on the controllers with a network that has internet access, you could leverage Aruba activate to point them to the vMM after wiping them as well. But who knows these days if that’s possible....

• 5.  RE: How to clear managed network configuration?

Posted Apr 13, 2020 11:22 PM

Dustin mentioned wiring the last copper Ethernet port to use for ZTP. This is needed for an AOS8 prior to 8.4. With 8.4 and above, any copper Ethernet can be used for ZTP except for the 2nd port, which is reserved in case you need to make manual settings for the device doing ZTP to communicate, such as if you were using a PPPoE connection.

As for the direct question, I agree with the others. I don't know of any way to do this except to do a write erase all.

I hope this helps,

• 6.  RE: How to clear managed network configuration?

Posted Apr 14, 2020 07:03 AM

Interesting, thanks.

For the interest of anyone reading this later.

I figured out a way around the write erase on the VMM. By taking out the master redundancy and the erasing the old secondary, I was able to successfully restore the flash on the master.  Then I just brought the old secondary back online.

Unfortunately, somewhere in the process, both of the controllers locked up.and I'm left with this.

Type Model Status Configuration State Config ID
    ---- ----- ------ ------------------- ---------
    master ArubaMM-VA up UPDATE SUCCESSFUL 79
    MD Aruba7240XM down CONFIG PROPAGATION 136
    MD Aruba7240XM down UPDATE REQUIRED 136
    standby ArubaMM-VA up UPDATE SUCCESSFUL 79

Since my connections are both to the first port, I thought I might be in luck for ZTP if the boxes were cycling, but as it turns out, neither one is in activate for some reason, and with the box locked up I can't get the activation ID to do a manual entry.  Sigh.

• 7.  RE: How to clear managed network configuration?

Posted Apr 15, 2020 08:20 PM

Reply to my own post again for posterity.

The reason the controllers seemed to lock up was because the version of flash I restored actually had an older master-ip in it.  So the controllers did exactly what they were supposed to do.

Thanks again all.

• 8.  RE: How to clear managed network configuration?

Posted Apr 13, 2020 08:15 PM

Actually, I'm about to try wiping the standby VMM and restoring the backup flash from a couple weeks ago. I tried earlier but the standby kept putting the broken config right back onto the master.

Yeah, no ZTP for me.The building is off limits unless it's a production issue. The connection is going into the standard build manual for all new installs though.

OTOH, I worked out how to get access I think.  If I just add a extra network port on a VM somewhere, and add it and the current network port for the controller to a dedicated VLAN, I should be able to use the VM to log into the GUI on the default IP address.

Cheers,

Andrew