Wireless Access

Highlighted
Contributor I

How to configure 8.0 master-local?

Hi everyone,

We have two totally new controllers.

Please tell me how to configure 8.0 master-local?

How can I find the configure manual?

Thank you for any answers.

Frequent Contributor I

Re: How to configure 8.0 master-local?

What model controllers?

You can find the documentation here

https://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/EntryId/8862/Default.aspx

Just select the OS version you are running. The Getting Started Guide would be the best place to start.

With 2 controllers you can either run 2 standalone controllers with VRRP configured to provide redundancy between them, or you can configure one controller as an Master Controller Mode (MCM) master and the other controller as a Mobility Controller (MC). This is ArubaOS 8 equivalent of Master/Local from ArubaOS 6.x and earlier. Not all controllers can operate as an MCM master, which may force you to run in standalone mode.

If you do configure MCM mode, unlike ArubaOS 6.x, the master is purely a managment machine, it "CANNOT" terminate any APs no matter what. So, unlike in 6.x and earlier if the local controller failed, the master controller could act as the backup, this is not possible with 8.x. Therefore, standalone mode provides better redundancy than MCM mode (with the 2 controllers that you stipulated).

I hope this helps,

David
Sr. Trainer and Author of upcoming "Understanding ArubaOS: Version 8.x" book
Contributor I

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply.

Our controller is 7205 which in 6.x version.

Is it necessarlly upgrade to 8.x ? Does 8.x support VRRP?

It seemed that with 2 controller running VRRP in 8.x maybe it is a good choice .

Thank you

Frequent Contributor I

8.x has been available for about 2.5+ years, so I would lean towards installing 8.x. Have you considered installing a Mobility Master (MM)?

With a virtual machine based MM, the 7205s can be configured with clustering. Both controllers can support clients, and if one controller goes down, all client connections continue without any logical stateful disconnect of the clients, so client stateful connections are maintained (providing the total number of APs does not exceed the number of APs that a single controller is capable of supporting, which is 256 APs for a 7205, however you should keep it below 80% of that number).

There are also other 8.x benefits that you can read about in Aruba's product brochures.

Without an MM, with only 2 controllers, standalone is the only way to deploy 8.x with failover, and it uses VRRP to deploy and active/standby solution. So, up to 256 APs (again, only do 80% of that) would connect to the active standalone controller, and if there was a failure, they would switch to the standby. With MM, the APs could be split between the two clustered MCs (controllers) in and active/active environment, and only when there was a failover would one of the MCs support all of the APs.

I hope this helps,

David
Sr. Trainer and Author of upcoming "Understanding ArubaOS: Version 8.x" book
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: