Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How to connect wired printer to a wireless network with TP-Link TL-WR802N router.

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  How to connect wired printer to a wireless network with TP-Link TL-WR802N router.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 12, 2017 07:35 PM

Hello all.

I have wifi campus network based on 7220 controller and AP325. Now I need to connect a wired printer to the wireless. We already have a TP-Link TL-WR802N and I configured it as a client but I think I need to change some settings on controller because the printer doesn't receive IP from corporate DHCP server. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Best,

A

• 2.  RE: How to connect wired printer to a wireless network with TP-Link TL-WR802N router.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 12, 2017 08:03 PM

According to page 168 of

http://static.tp-link.com/res/down/doc/TL-WR802(UN_V1_UG.pdf

"When you choose the Smart IP (DHCP) mode, the DHCP Server function will be disabled."

• 3.  RE: How to connect wired printer to a wireless network with TP-Link TL-WR802N router.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 12, 2017 08:18 PM

It sounds good but I want to use corporate DHCP server.

What I can see at controller are two entries with the same Ethernet address.

Thanks.

A

• 4.  RE: How to connect wired printer to a wireless network with TP-Link TL-WR802N router.

Posted Oct 17, 2018 03:18 PM

Any update on this at all?

We have the same issue, but with a different end device, and it simply doesnt pick up an IP from the corp dhcp server wiith the TP-Link set in client mode.  Give the end device a static IP from the same vlan as what the TP-Link has picked up and it works fine, but we need DHCP to work.

• 5.  RE: How to connect wired printer to a wireless network with TP-Link TL-WR802N router.

Posted Oct 17, 2018 04:15 PM

A bit more digging yielded the answer (and confirmed a suspiciosn I had!):

Disabling this got it working....

Convert Broadcast ARP requests to unicast

If enabled, all broadcast ARP requests are converted to unicast and sent directly to the client. You can check the status of this option using the show ap active and the show datapath tunnel command. If enabled, the output will display the letter a in the flags column.

This configuration parameter is only intended for use for virtual APs in tunnel mode. In tunnel mode, all packets travel to the controller, so the controller is able to convert ARP requests directed to the broadcast address into unicast.

When a virtual AP is configured to use bridge forwarding mode, most data traffic stays local to the AP, and the controller is not able to convert that broadcast traffic.

Beginning with ArubaOS 6.1.3.2, this parameter is enabled by default. Behaviors associated with these settings are enabled upon upgrade to ArubaOS 6.1.3.2. If your controller supports clients behind a wireless bridge or virtual clients on VMware devices, you must disable this setting to allow those clients to obtain an IP address. In previous releases of ArubaOS, the virtual AP profile included two unique broadcast filter parameters; the drop broadcast and multicast parameter, which filtered out all broadcast and multicast traffic in the air except DHCP response frames (these were converted to unicast frames and sent to the corresponding client) and the conert ARP requests to unicast parameter, which converted broadcast ARP requests to unicast messages sent directly to the client.

Starting with ArubaOS 6.1.3.2, the Convert Broadcast ARP requests to unicast  setting includes the additional functionality of broadcast-filter all parameter, where DHCP response frames are sent as unicast to the corresponding client. This can impact DHCP discover/requested packets for clients behind a wireless bridge and virtual clients on VMware devices. Disable this option to resolve this issue and allow clients behind a wireless bridge or VMware devices to receive an IP address.

Default: Enabled