Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How to create a Captive Portal

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  How to create a Captive Portal

Posted Nov 24, 2011 05:23 AM

Hi,

I try to make a CP but it won't work, even when I follow the steps with the "DG_WLAN_Secure_Guest_Access_ArubaOS25".

It's for a customer with a LDAP connection between the AD and controller (W3400 6.1.2.4) the user need to use the portal for access the network.

Does anybody as easy steps to follow and build a PC from the start??

Thanks,

Danny

• 2.  RE: How to create a Captive Portal

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 24, 2011 06:22 AM

When you say it won't work, did you get it to broadcast?  Can the user associate and get an ip address?  Where are you stuck?

• 3.  RE: How to create a Captive Portal

Posted Nov 24, 2011 07:40 AM

The users gets a IP address but there is no redirect to the portal.

Loopback address is also set and default gateway.

What I did was using the WLAN and LAN config. All VLANs where in place, also the DHCP server for the VLANs (where I needed).

The users are Internal user with a LDAP but they must use a portal.

Thx

Danny

• 4.  RE: How to create a Captive Portal

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 24, 2011 07:57 AM

Okay.  Can the user resolve any ip addresses when connected?  Try doing an NSLOOKUP.  DNS resolution is key.

• 5.  RE: How to create a Captive Portal

Posted Nov 24, 2011 08:05 AM
    The guide that you followed is very old and was written for OS version 2.5!

I would check the aaa profile in the guest VAP. The initial role should be guest-login by default which if you edit the role you should see that it has a captive portal set. If not assign the default one just to test.

Also verify what role you are getting when you associate to the guest network.

To be honest, I'd suggest that you use the WLAN wizard to create a new guest network and troubleshoot that rather than create one manually using a guide that is years out of date. :-)

James

• 6.  RE: How to create a Captive Portal

Posted Nov 27, 2011 09:22 AM

It was create by the wizard and afterwards checked with the Guide. because the wizard creation didn't work.

I just clean the config (factory default) and build it up and still the same.

• 7.  RE: How to create a Captive Portal

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 27, 2011 01:00 PM

Can the user resolve DNS?  What operating system and browser are being used?

• 8.  RE: How to create a Captive Portal

Posted Nov 28, 2011 01:05 AM

Here is a reference you can use for building the GUEST VAP.  This is only snippets of configuration but it should provide enough info to build the Gust with Captive-Portal.

netdestination ENTERPRISE

network 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0

network 172.16.0.0 255.240.0.0

network 192.168.0.0 255.255.0.0

!

ip access-list session GUEST_ACL

user any udp 68 deny

any any svc-dhcp permit

any alias ENTERPRISE any deny

any any any permit

!

user-role guest

session-acl GUEST_ACL position 1

!

aaa authentication captive-portal GUEST

default-role guest

server-group internal

redirect-pause 3

welcome-page http://www.arubanetworks.com/

no logout-popup-window

!

user-role PRE_GUEST

session-acl logon-control

session-acl captiveportal

captive-portal GUEST

!

aaa profile GUEST

initial-role PRE_GUEST

!

wlan ssid-profile GUEST

essid GUEST

opmode open

!

wlan virtual-ap GUEST

aaa-profile GUEST

ssid-profile GUEST

vlan 666

forward-mode tunnel

!

-michael

• 9.  RE: How to create a Captive Portal

Posted Nov 28, 2011 09:23 PM

We just found some problem with CP on 6.1.2.4 which may lead to similar problem as yours..

You may try to ping the gateway to see whether you can reach it 1st.

If you fail to ping the gateway but IP was allocated, check which AP your client connected

and reboot the AP. We found that some AP will have such problem after we upgrade to 6.1.2.4.

Right after the reboot, you can try to ping again. You should be able to ping the gateway with 50% or

more success rate. You can then login through CP and it seems much better after login.

• 10.  RE: How to create a Captive Portal

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 28, 2011 09:37 PM

Johnny, you are missing alot of detail, including how frequently this happens.  Are you sure this can be tied to 6.1.2.4 specifically, because there are quite a few installations of 6.1.2.4 where this works.

• 11.  RE: How to create a Captive Portal

Posted Nov 28, 2011 10:41 PM

Joseph,

We had upgraded from 3.4 to 6.1.2.0 then 6.1.2.2 then a CBuild 30153 of 6.1.2.2 and finally 6.1.2.4.

We found some other problems with 6.1.2.0 & 6.1.2.2 about route-cache issues. 6.1.2.2 Cbuild 30153

create another issue of controller reboot. Aruba engineer suggest us to upgrade to 6.1.2.4 and

we did this on 14 Nov. Before that (6.1.2.2_30153 was upgraded on 23 Sep) SSID using CP are working fine,

all problem are on SSID using 802.1x. These two weeks, we start receive complain and finally we verified the case

and do some capture for the case. Although I cannot say this only happen on 6.1.2.4 (may be 6.1.2.3 have that too).

At least this problem did exist in 6.1.2.4 in my enivroment. It is hard for us to check every AP from time to time as we

have more than 1160 AP.

Just want to know whether their problem are related with my problem or not.

• 12.  RE: How to create a Captive Portal

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 29, 2011 01:05 AM

Thank you. The person who started this thread, never got captive portal to work and we would probably want to make sure it is not a configuration issue, first.

• 13.  RE: How to create a Captive Portal
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 18, 2011 05:14 AM

Starting from zero, also a new update in place (same as before but the other partition).

Made config same but started all over.

1. The standard info due startup squence
    2. First the needed VLANs
    3. The Wizard for WLAN/LAN
    4. The wizard for Access Points.

I have a working Captive portal now, which is working with the internal db, the next challenge is the LDAP connection. but that is a different story.

The software on the first partition was corrupt that's why the captive portal didn't work the same problem I had with the wms database which was restarting every 10 seconds.

• 14.  RE: How to create a Captive Portal

Posted Oct 23, 2013 02:37 AM

Hi,

I have 620 controller and 10 number Ap 105 . i am new to aruba .please send the step by step for create captive portal .

Regards

N.Muthusaravanakumar

• 15.  RE: How to create a Captive Portal

• 16.  RE: How to create a Captive Portal

Posted Oct 25, 2013 04:35 AM

Hi Cjoseph,

Thanks very much .it i. working 

Regards

N.Muthusaravanakumar

• 17.  RE: How to create a Captive Portal

Posted Dec 09, 2013 01:12 AM

Dear Team,

I am new to aruba network. i want to implement Radius server in new location so kindly send me the setup by step document .

I have windows 2003 server and Aruba 3200 controller Ap 105 -10 No  

Regards

N.Muthusaravanakumar