Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How to debug dpi

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  How to debug dpi

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 06, 2015 03:57 PM

Any tips for best way to debug dpi ?

I am seeing strange issues and want to gather some decent logs for when I raise a TAC case.

7005 controller and 6.4.2.

• 2.  RE: How to debug dpi

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 06, 2015 05:09 PM

Michael_Clarke,

What specifically?

• 3.  RE: How to debug dpi

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 06, 2015 05:16 PM

Controller is dropping DNS packets from clients.  Comparing a capture on the client and one on the egress interface on the controller, I can see frequently that for periods of 4-5 seconds, the DNS packets don't leave the controller.

When the user launches their VPN client (no split tunneling, so everything goes into vpn)  the issues disappear and everything is fine, which leads me to think it may be something to do with dpi.

• 4.  RE: How to debug dpi

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 06, 2015 06:27 PM

Michael_Clarke,

You should do a decrypted packet capture on the controller for that client and compare it to the egress on the controller.  It is quite possible that the wifi traffic is not getting through.

• 5.  RE: How to debug dpi

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 14, 2015 09:24 AM

Have done that now.  Interesting results.  Between a capture on the client and the datapath-wifi-client, there is not much difference.  On the egress port for that vlan, I am only seeing ~20% of DNS requests leaving the controller.

DNS Reqs

laptop     = 644

datapath = 644

egress    = 138

The controller just seems to be chomping up DNS requests.  Can't comment on other protocols yet.

We upgraded to 6.4.2.12 the other day and that made no difference.  Raising a case now.

Will report back once we get to the bottom of it.

• 6.  RE: How to debug dpi

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 20, 2015 04:35 PM

There was a max-sessions set in the user role that seems to have been causing this.

Testing at home and opening only 3 busy websites with lots of content was causing 800+ sessions at times.