Wireless Access

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How to disable beacon broadcast during a time window?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  How to disable beacon broadcast during a time window?

Posted Mar 28, 2012 01:41 PM

I know you can set a "deny time range" on a virtual AP profile to turn off wireless access at pre-determined times, and this works as expected. But the SSID beacon is still broadcast during the "deny" time. Is there a way to disable the broadcast of the beacon so that users will not be confused as to why they can't connect to a visible network?

#LocationServices
    #ArubaBeacons
    #ALE

• 2.  RE: How to disable beacon broadcast during a time window?

Posted Apr 03, 2012 05:27 PM

[bump]

I guess another way to say this is "How can I turn off the radio on a schedule?"

Anyone?

• 3.  RE: How to disable beacon broadcast during a time window?

Posted Apr 30, 2012 04:32 PM

On a semi-related note, can we have APs hibernate overnight when we don't want people online anyway?  I figure it would be easier to schedule it within the Aruba OS than to have our POE switch cut power to them.

• 4.  RE: How to disable beacon broadcast during a time window?

Posted Apr 30, 2012 04:39 PM

Under Access Control > Time Ranges - create your range.  Then, go to the Virtual AP Profile and choose that Time Range under the "Deny Time Range" drop down.

• 5.  RE: How to disable beacon broadcast during a time window?

Posted Apr 30, 2012 04:41 PM

Lol... I just read the previsous posts... I guess you already knew you could use the "Deny Time Range".... :)

The only way I know to actually turn off the APs during a pre-set time range is to turn the power off on the Ethernet switch port.  You can do this with Aruba switches or a scripting on other vendors (not sure if others have built in PoE management based on time ranges).

• 6.  RE: How to disable beacon broadcast during a time window?

Posted Sep 27, 2013 02:53 PM
    This is would have to be a feature request to disable the SSID-Profile on a time-window or disable VAP entirely.

Instant lacks this feature completely.

I am making a feature request, if you all feel it is a must (like I do), promote my feature request :)

• 7.  RE: How to disable beacon broadcast during a time window?

Posted Sep 27, 2013 02:55 PM
    nevermind, the feature request is already there, i've promoted it.

here: https://arubanetworkskb.secure.force.com/prm/ideas/viewIdea.apexp?id=08740000000LCufAAG