Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How to do two step authentication, MAC-based & 802.1x?

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  How to do two step authentication, MAC-based & 802.1x?

Posted Dec 17, 2011 01:31 PM

Hi guys,

This is a great forum and I've benefited greatly from the knowledgeable posts here. I have a scenario where I need to authenticate devices based on MACs as well as their 802.1x credentials. How can I do that?

I know that in the AAA profile for a particular VAP, I can set the user roles for MAC-authentication, user-derivation rules and 802.1x but how can I tie two of them together so that the user is not authenticated until he meets both of the following conditions:

1) User's MAC address is in the user-derivation rules OR in the Internal DB (MAC Authentication)

2) 802.1x authentication

Any help is much appreciated!

Cheers

• 2.  RE: How to do two step authentication, MAC-based & 802.1x?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 17, 2011 03:02 PM

If you set both a 802.1x and MAC authentication profile, the client has to pass BOTH or the client will not be admitted to the network.  If you enable "L2 Authentication Fail Through" on the AAA profile, 802.1x authentication will continue if MAC auth is failed.  I hope this helps.

• 3.  RE: How to do two step authentication, MAC-based & 802.1x?

Posted Dec 17, 2011 05:36 PM

Thanks for the quick reply cjoseph. I've applied both profiles now but I can't find the "L2 Authentication Fail Through" option that you mentioned. In the AAA profile, all I see are 6 options:

Initial Role

802.1X Authentication Default Role

Wired to Wireless Roaming

MAC Authentication Default Role

User derivation rules

SIP authentication role

Where's this fail-through option?

• 4.  RE: How to do two step authentication, MAC-based & 802.1x?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 17, 2011 05:38 PM

Do you have ArubaOS 6.x?  I forgot to tell you it only exists there.

• 5.  RE: How to do two step authentication, MAC-based & 802.1x?
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 17, 2011 05:43 PM

No I don't but I can get it though. Is 6.x stable though? Anything I should know about for the upgrade? It's a 4504 controller running 5.0.3.3 and a bunch of RAP-2WG APs.

• 6.  RE: How to do two step authentication, MAC-based & 802.1x?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 17, 2011 05:46 PM

You don't have to upgrade just for that.  On your current version, it just won't let devices on if they don't pass mac address authentication as well was 802.1x authentication.  

• 7.  RE: How to do two step authentication, MAC-based & 802.1x?

Posted Dec 17, 2011 05:48 PM

Right, I understand. It would be nice to have that option as a check box though.

Greatly appreciate your help!