Wireless Access

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How to hide Mesh Cluster SSID?

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  How to hide Mesh Cluster SSID?

Posted Aug 15, 2019 02:18 PM

I am configuring a mesh cluster setup and it works just fine. However, the mesh cluster backhaul wireless communication's SSID is visible to clients. How can I make this SSID hidden? I looked at the configuration  (AOS8.4.0.4) and I can't find where this setting is.

• 2.  RE: How to hide Mesh Cluster SSID?

Posted Aug 15, 2019 07:51 PM

Unfortunately I don't have any answers, but some observations. I'm running 8.5.0.1. I'm on the road, but still have a decent amount of access to my lab. I went to check and sure enough, I do see an SSID advertised from my mesh network. The interesting thing, is the SSID is not the MSSID that is created in the mesh profile. The SSID is the mesh cluster profile name itself, not the cluster name that is assigned with the profile (which should be the actual MSSID value, at least that is my undertanding). Here is my mesh profile

ap mesh-cluster-profile "mesh1-cluster"
    cluster "mesh1-mssid"
    wpa-passphrase <psk>
    opmode wpa2-psk-aes

According to the CLI reference guide the "cluster" command sets the SSID, as stated in the docs "Indicates the mesh cluster name. The name can have a maximum of 32 characters and is used as the MSSID for the mesh cluster."

I did try to connect to this from, and of course was not able to. I also have a mesh running on my 6.x network, and cannot see the SSID at all. If I recall correctly, in 6.x, the MSSID was part of an information element in the 802.11 frame.

I hope this helps,

• 3.  RE: How to hide Mesh Cluster SSID?

Posted Aug 15, 2019 08:03 PM

So there's no way of hiding it for now?

And yes, I don't remember seeing this M/SSID being broadcasted on AOS6.

It's not really a big deal for me but if possible, I want to make the air cleaner for clients. There will be many mesh clusters and that means many SSIDs. What I  mean is, imagine a client who just want to connect and he'll be seeing all this many mesh SSIDs and he'll have to scroll down just to find the real production one.

• 4.  RE: How to hide Mesh Cluster SSID?

Posted Aug 15, 2019 08:30 PM

I have no idea on hiding it. I searched deep into the config and docs and I couldn't find anywhere mesh related to do this. I think you should call TAC. This seems like it could/should be a feature request.

• 5.  RE: How to hide Mesh Cluster SSID?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 16, 2019 08:24 AM

@WiFi-CPP wrote:

So there's no way of hiding it for now?

And yes, I don't remember seeing this M/SSID being broadcasted on AOS6.

It's not really a big deal for me but if possible, I want to make the air cleaner for clients. There will be many mesh clusters and that means many SSIDs. What I  mean is, imagine a client who just want to connect and he'll be seeing all this many mesh SSIDs and he'll have to scroll down just to find the real production one.

If the mesh SSID is visibile (not hidden), that is a bug...  It should be hidden.  Please open a TAC case so that they can file a bug.

• 6.  RE: How to hide Mesh Cluster SSID?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 16, 2019 06:00 PM

The bug is already identified and should be in the next release 8.5.0.3. By default it should be hidden but in addressing another issue, it was marked not to hide. It's not exposeable, so there's no workaround (short of disabling mesh) until the code fix.

• 7.  RE: How to hide Mesh Cluster SSID?

Posted Aug 16, 2019 06:05 PM

Thank you for the answer. I will wait for the new code. 

• 8.  RE: How to hide Mesh Cluster SSID?

Posted Jan 26, 2024 04:55 AM

I am a bit loathe to push such an old topic, but i think it makes sense to do so.

I am on a Mobility Conductor Cluster with Version 8.11.2.1, and have just set up a mesh cluster for the first time.

I can see the Cluster Name that i have set on the profile as a broadcasted SSID.

So either the bug has reappeared, or something has changed to make it visible again...

So i repeat the Question: How to hide the mesh SSID?

• 9.  RE: How to hide Mesh Cluster SSID?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 26, 2024 09:50 AM

Assuming you've configured mesh correctly, the SSID for mesh being visible is still a bug that has been re-introduced.

------------------------------
    Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110
    ------------------------------