Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How to join AP's to the virtual controller

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  How to join AP's to the virtual controller

Posted Jan 15, 2019 10:43 AM
      |   view attached

Afternoon all,

With some great help from people on here, I now hve my Aruba 275 up and running.

I have now spent two days trying the get the controllers to see two AP-225's, with no luck.

My DNS server points "aruba-master" to the IP of the virtual controller.

Factory reset both the AP-225's, they now see the "aruba-master"

Both 225's just say on screen welcome to Aruba networks with a hash symbol ?

From here Im lost, Im not entirely sure I have setup the virtual controler conrectly, I have tried to turn off Auto find and add in the Mac Addresses manually but both just remain red ?

Have i missed something here ? Well I know i have but im damned after two days if I can find it ?

As always any help greatly appriciated.

B

• 2.  RE: How to join AP's to the virtual controller

Posted Jan 15, 2019 11:47 AM

What is your AOS version?  AP-220's require minimum 6.3. 

Because virtual controller, I assume you are on AOS 8. 

Can you post "show ap database".  do you have console cable to see the AP booting process? 

• 3.  RE: How to join AP's to the virtual controller

Posted Jan 15, 2019 11:56 AM

It appears to be 6.3.0.

We have the AP truned on connected to Putty, it runs the setup text, its says set master to this IP I have set in our DNS.

I just get welcome to you AP and a hash, no login or anything ?

I can ping the AP

Am I setting the master IP to the virual controller or the AP i have set up to be master ?

• 4.  RE: How to join AP's to the virtual controller

Posted Jan 15, 2019 11:59 AM

can you ssh to controller and post show ap database?

Sorry, my bad, so you are running AP-275 as iAP and virtual controller?  I believe you must have other APs as iAP as well. I dont think you can join normal AP to the virtual controller. 

• 5.  RE: How to join AP's to the virtual controller

Posted Jan 15, 2019 01:55 PM

Yes I setup the 275 first, added it to the virtual controller (which i assume is running on that aswell as this is the only bit of kit I have) the virtual controller has a different IP tho.

Now im trying to setup two 225's to link into this network to go along side the 275, Both the 225's have IP Addresses but I cant seem to added them the the list of AP's ?

Also the wifi on the 225's is off and I have no idea how to get it on, I have reset both 225's via cable and now have to outcome of the picutres attached ?

Im nolt sure where to go now , surely the 225's should at least have wireless on ? No lights on just the ethernet as its plugged into to POE and the power light flashing ????

And all I have as you can see in the picture is welcome to the acees point ? So very confused

B

Just been reading, do i need licences ? I thought they just ran out of the box , I got these second hand

• 6.  RE: How to join AP's to the virtual controller

Posted Jan 15, 2019 03:27 PM

You don't need license for virtual controller, but you need all IAPs to work together. 

Check the model number if it says AP-225 then it will NOT work, but if it say IAP-225 then you just need to reset, connect it to the same subnet with 275 then it will join that virtual controller.