Wireless Access

last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How to make 1 Specific Instant AP the Master Access Point in IAP Cluster

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  How to make 1 Specific Instant AP the Master Access Point in IAP Cluster

Posted Apr 22, 2020 12:39 PM

I always though the Master Access Point from Aruba Instant Cluster is the Access Point that has been on-line the longest.

We had an unplanned power outage at this location where we have 3 x  IAP-325 running an IAP-Cluster.  1 of the IAP-325 is named Office and that one was the Master before the Power outage.  Now one of the Other 2 Access Points is consistantly the Master A.P.

There is no Specific AP configured to be the master in 'Access Point' - 'Edit' - 'General Tab' - Preferred Master = Disabled.

I have manually restarted the other 2 x Access Points to make sure the "Office A.P." is the A.P. that has been on-line the longest.  BU the Master A.P. is not always one of the other Access Points.  Does this mean there is something wrong with the Office A.P.? 

How can I check if there is something wrong with the Office A.P.?  Currently there are not many users in the office so we do not have any I.T. people in that office to help me test; but, I can putty and remote into the A.P. from my location. 

• 2.  RE: How to make 1 Specific Instant AP the Master Access Point in IAP Cluster

MVP GURU
    Posted Apr 22, 2020 12:49 PM

Not sure what you are asking here. Yes, if you do not specify a preferred master, the AP with the longest Up-Time is usually promoted to the master in the cluster. You would check the box for "Preferred Master to make this AP always the master" See screenshot 1.

You would also want to pick another IP in the same subnet to use as a virtual controller IP so that you always use the same IP address to manage the cluster via the master. See screenshot 2.

• 3.  RE: How to make 1 Specific Instant AP the Master Access Point in IAP Cluster

Posted Apr 22, 2020 02:40 PM

Perhaps I did not explain everythign correctly.

1).  We do not have a prefered AP set or configured to be the Master AP.

2).  Before the power outage the Office A.P. was the Master but after the Power outage the same Office A.P. cannot be the master again and I a not sure why.

a.  Even if I restart the other 2 AP's the 'Office A.P.' will not take that role.

b. I am wondering if there is anything wrong with the Office A.p.

Question:  How can I check if there is anything wrong with the 'Office A.P. ' ? 

• 4.  RE: How to make 1 Specific Instant AP the Master Access Point in IAP Cluster
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 22, 2020 06:01 PM

I ended up configuring the Office A.P. to be the preferred master and that worked.  So there must be another reason besides maximum up-time that was forcing the other A.P.'s  to be the new master controller.

By forcing the master, I proved that there was nothing wrong.  The algorithm that Aruba uses was just choosing the other 2 fro some reason.