Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How to make the wifi clients to get an ip address from designated vlan?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  How to make the wifi clients to get an ip address from designated vlan?

Posted Aug 01, 2015 02:21 PM

I'm having issue with the Virtual AP setup on the 3600 controller.

I have setup a VAP profile to use VLAN 50 and also setup the DHCP server for it on the controller.

But for some reason the wifi clients that are connected to that VAP profile kept getting an ip address from the default vlan 1.

From the switch, I was able to ping the controller on VLAN 50 so I know the network has been setup correctly.

I even go as far as disabling VLAN 1 on the controller so the operation state is down but it's still getting an ip address from the controller dhcp server vlan 1.

Is there a hidden setting somewhere that I don't know about to tell VAP to "not" use vlan 1 dhcp server but the designated vlan?

Maybe the AP ports are not setup to trunk and it's always set to default on vlan 1?

Where should I check or how do I check the AP ports to set it to trunk?

TIA again.

You guys have been very helpful to me.

Much appreciated.

• 2.  RE: How to make the wifi clients to get an ip address from designated vlan?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 01, 2015 02:29 PM

Can you confirm that in the user-table (show user-table), the VLAN-ID that is assigned is the correct one?

• 3.  RE: How to make the wifi clients to get an ip address from designated vlan?

Posted Aug 01, 2015 02:40 PM

I don't see vlan id with show user-table.

Am I missing anything?

• 4.  RE: How to make the wifi clients to get an ip address from designated vlan?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 01, 2015 09:40 PM
    Show user-table verbose.

The vlan will be in parenthesis.

• 5.  RE: How to make the wifi clients to get an ip address from designated vlan?

Posted Aug 10, 2015 11:06 PM

Any update on your issue based on above feedback?

• 6.  RE: How to make the wifi clients to get an ip address from designated vlan?

Posted Aug 11, 2015 06:58 AM

Hi,

User VLAN can be assigned in different ways,

1. Through an authentication server if configured, server will return VLAN information to the controller after successful authentication

2. we can map VLAN to an authenticated role. while creating a role we will have an option of mapping a VLAN

3. We can map a VLAN to the VAP where the same SSID is mapped.

Always Server derived VLAN will take precedence, if it is not configured next goes to role and if this also not configured least precedence will be given to VALN mapped to VAP.

Based on the above info, you can check which method you are using to map a VLAN.

"show user-table" command should show you which VLAN is mapped to an authenticated user.