Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How to move a mobility controller from one Mobility Master to a new Mobility Master

This thread has been viewed 26 times
  • 1.  How to move a mobility controller from one Mobility Master to a new Mobility Master

Posted Aug 06, 2020 02:03 PM

We currently have 2 Mobility Master environments here, a production and a stage. In the production I recently upgraded from 8.3.0.12 to 8.5.0.10. In the old 8.3 environment we had 3 controllers, 2 7220 controllers were in a cluster and the 3rd 7210 controller was used for RAPs. Since moving to 8.5 the RAPs are now pointing to the cluster of 2 7220 controllers and everything is working great.

Now I would like to move the 3rd 7210 controller, that now has no APs pointing to it, from the production environment, to the stage environment which currently has 2 Mobility Masters and no controllers. It is also running on the same rev software as the production Mobility Masters. 

Is there any written procedure to do this? 

• 2.  RE: How to move a mobility controller from one Mobility Master to a new Mobility Master

MVP GURU
    Posted Aug 06, 2020 02:43 PM

You can add the controller on the different version of software (as long as MM is higher version), and change the code after adding it. Or you can change the version and then add it to the MMs. Either should be OK. You should wipe the controller before adding it to the MMs as well.

• 3.  RE: How to move a mobility controller from one Mobility Master to a new Mobility Master

Posted Aug 06, 2020 02:58 PM

All Mobility Masters and Mobility controllers, production and stage, are on the same software version.

I don't have physical access to the 7210 controller, I am working from home, so wiping it clean would mean I would have to have access to the console port which is doable but not easy. I was hoping this was something I could do from home.

• 4.  RE: How to move a mobility controller from one Mobility Master to a new Mobility Master

MVP GURU
    Posted Aug 06, 2020 03:01 PM

You could always put the last port on the right on the controller on a VLAN or network that has internet access. Then when you do a write erase all on the controller, it can contact Aruba activate on that port, and you can point it to the MM that you want it added to along with its IP information. Once that is done, you should be able to manage it as if you went through the initial wizard.

See the following guide: https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/How-to-setup-a-controller-using-ZTP-Zero-Touch-Provisioning-on-a/ta-p/292391

• 5.  RE: How to move a mobility controller from one Mobility Master to a new Mobility Master

Posted Aug 06, 2020 03:23 PM

I appreciate the input though it still involves having physical access to it. I was hoping to avoid that. We are on lockdown and it's a bit of work to get onsite right now. Thanks again.

• 6.  RE: How to move a mobility controller from one Mobility Master to a new Mobility Master

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 06, 2020 03:30 PM

Just point that controller to the new MM's ip address and put in the correct preshared key for that new MM

:

Screenshot 2020-08-06 at 14.27.41.png

After you do that, the controller will connect, but be "parked" until you add the controller's mac wired mac address in the new MM structure.

"show switches debug" should show you the new controller with a "UNK" designation until you add the wired mac address into the new hierarchy.

• 7.  RE: How to move a mobility controller from one Mobility Master to a new Mobility Master

Posted Aug 11, 2020 12:56 PM

I followed the steps, the controller shut down and rebooted as it was supposed to do and I lost contact with it. I am unable to ping it from my desktop or the MM, I can't SSH into it and I cannot get to the web GUI. It looks like I have to make arrangements to get into the data center and factory reset it anyway.

• 8.  RE: How to move a mobility controller from one Mobility Master to a new Mobility Master

MVP GURU
    Posted Aug 11, 2020 01:51 PM
      |   view attached

Did you set up the pre-shared key on the MD and MM side for the controller?

Dustin-Burns_0-1597168318210.png

• 9.  RE: How to move a mobility controller from one Mobility Master to a new Mobility Master

Posted Aug 11, 2020 02:13 PM

Yes I set the pre-shared key.

I had a similar issue with this controller when I updated it to 8.5.0.10. I had to go in and power cycle it.

• 10.  RE: How to move a mobility controller from one Mobility Master to a new Mobility Master

Posted Aug 24, 2020 02:13 PM

Hi jsvanscoyk,

How does this end up? Did you go to the DC and access the controller via console cable? I am also planning to move my MCs to a new MM.

Regards,

Julián

• 11.  RE: How to move a mobility controller from one Mobility Master to a new Mobility Master
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 24, 2020 02:39 PM

I had to wipe the controller clean by physically connecting to it with the console cable and running the command 'write erase all' which factory defaults it. I then went through the wizard in the CLI and joined it to the stage environment mobility masters. 

• 12.  RE: How to move a mobility controller from one Mobility Master to a new Mobility Master

Posted Aug 24, 2020 02:43 PM

OK, thanks., I will do the same then. It seems there is no other way

Regards,

Julián

• 13.  RE: How to move a mobility controller from one Mobility Master to a new Mobility Master

MVP GURU
    Posted Aug 25, 2020 03:56 PM

Glad to hear it worked out OK.