Wireless Access

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How to remove an IAP from avtivate

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  How to remove an IAP from avtivate

Posted Sep 06, 2014 08:29 PM

Hi friends,

So I added an instant AP 105 to my activate account. Once I did that, I'm unable to change the configs on the AP anymore.

My AP is connected to a lan that has an airwave server (just a side note).

I did a factory reset on the IAP but when I access the GUI I still see on the bottom that it is connect to activate. I can't even point that IAP to my airwave anymore because I only have few read options (see below/attached). Maintenance is there but when I click on it, I only see the serial number and the firmware version of the IAP. Nothing configurable. On my activate account I click on that IAP and the click on retire device but nothing happens. The IAP can easily ping the airwave but I’m unable to add the IAP to AMP. Any advice is appreciated

iap.JPG

• 2.  RE: How to remove an IAP from avtivate

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 07, 2014 06:35 PM

Fahad,

Do you have a provisioning rule configured for this IAP in activate? Perhaps you could share a screenshot of your activate page associated with this IAP.

Best regards,

Madani

• 3.  RE: How to remove an IAP from avtivate

Posted Sep 07, 2014 10:58 PM
    check to see if theres a rule associated to the folder that your ap is in. if yes, move the ap to possibly the default folder where no rule is present and try again

• 4.  RE: How to remove an IAP from avtivate

Posted Sep 08, 2014 03:18 AM
      |   view attached

Thanks for the reply, I don't have any rules setup with my activate account. see the cap from the home page of the account.

• 5.  RE: How to remove an IAP from avtivate

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 08, 2014 09:35 AM

On the right side of that screen capture, there is a button for "View Device History". Can you click on it and provide the output?

Best regards,

Madani

• 6.  RE: How to remove an IAP from avtivate

Posted Sep 08, 2014 11:32 AM
      |   view attached

Oh I haven't check this one before. it's got some information in it. see attached.

thanks.

• 7.  RE: How to remove an IAP from avtivate

Posted Sep 10, 2014 06:01 PM

My WiFi brothers and sisters,

any ideas here?

I can't manage or configure the IAP anymore even after I did a factory reset on it. I seem to login as a helpdesk account on activate and not an admin.

I deleted all roles and folders on activate and only left what's default but nothing changed. I will break activate if a see it in person :) I'm that mad.

• 8.  RE: How to remove an IAP from avtivate

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 10, 2014 06:52 PM

Fahad,

Sorry to leave you hanging. The output you showed from activate indicates the last time the IAP was seen was on 8/27/2014 and from a provisioning perspective, it last tried to provision on 7/18/2014 but failed due to no provisiong rule being setup.

Can you send the output from the IAP? Also how did you factory default the IAP?

Best regards,

Madani

• 9.  RE: How to remove an IAP from avtivate

Posted Sep 10, 2014 08:12 PM

Madani,

I factory default the IAP with "write erase all" when it came back online, it flushed the SSID that I had originally on it and advertised instant SSID.

after I erased the configs it still finds its way to activate (I think a 6.4 feature). so I'm not sure I can provide you with an output from the AP since I erased what was there.

thanks.

• 10.  RE: How to remove an IAP from avtivate

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 10, 2014 08:34 PM

Fahad,

Something doesn't make sense though, according to activate, the IAP hasn't checked in in several weeks.

To factory default an IAP, use this procedure while consoled into it, this will truly erase everything.

• Connect console and apply power
    • Right after the POST finishes, it gives you a 2 second timer to press enter to abort.  Press enter.
    • At the "apboot>" prompt type, factory_reset

Best regards,

Madani

• 11.  RE: How to remove an IAP from avtivate

Posted Nov 15, 2015 04:32 PM

Is there any way to stop IAP from being managed by Activate?

I bought two IAPs from ebay and no matter what i do, the activate configuration is always pushed to this devices after a while.

The only solution that works is blacklisting the device.arubanetworks.com hostname on my router. But i would prefer to totaly stop the foreign Activate from "atacking" my devices.

thanks

Mike

• 12.  RE: How to remove an IAP from avtivate

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 15, 2015 04:34 PM
    Your best option would be to contact the seller on eBay and ask them to remove the provisioning rules for those IAPs.

You could also try contacting Aruba TAC, but I can’t guarantee you they’ll be able to remove them from another user’s account.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

• 13.  RE: How to remove an IAP from avtivate

Posted Nov 15, 2015 04:45 PM

Yes, you are right. Normally its the most simple way.

The ebay seller doesnt have any clue. The devices were provisioned by TELUS, which seems to be a Canadian cell phone operator. And so far no luck with getting past their defensive lines of "technical support"

Ill try with TAC

thank you

and if anybody from TELUS reads this, then please help :-)