Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How to set the BSSID order for an Aruba Instant AP via Airwave Template?

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  How to set the BSSID order for an Aruba Instant AP via Airwave Template?

Posted Apr 01, 2019 08:31 AM

Hi,

at moment i provision Instant APs via the template-feature in Airwave (under Groups > Templates).

There a three wlan profiles which i have to configure

As Example ssid-1, ssid-2 and ssid-3

Now i have look through all my virtual controller and i regocnized, that the order of the ssids is mixed up.

VC 1 -> ssid-1 = index 0 , ssid-2 = index 1, ssid-3 = index 2

VC 2 -> ssid-1 = index 2 , ssid-2 = index 1, ssid-3 = index 0

VC 2 -> ssid-1 = index 1 , ssid-2 = index 0, ssid-3 = index 2

and so on...

How can i get it solve, that the ssids get on every virtuale controller the same index and therefore the same order?

Greets

• 2.  RE: How to set the BSSID order for an Aruba Instant AP via Airwave Template?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 03, 2019 12:41 AM

Hi JottWe,

You can include the index into the wlan profile. 

wlan ssid-profile XXX
     enable
     index 0
     type employee
     essid XXX
     utf8
     wpa-passphrase XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
     opmode wpa2-psk-aes
     max-authentication-failures 0
     vlan 1
     auth-server CPPM-Radius
     rf-band all
     captive-portal disable
     mac-authentication
     dtim-period 1
     broadcast-filter arp
     openflow-enable
     dmo-channel-utilization-threshold 90
     local-probe-req-thresh 0
     max-clients-threshold 64

This will make sure they are all the same on all Clusters. 

• 3.  RE: How to set the BSSID order for an Aruba Instant AP via Airwave Template?

Posted Apr 03, 2019 01:30 AM

Hi (und guten Morgen) Florian,

nice to hear from you...the last time i heard from you was at 2015. There we had big big problems with our HP 10500 Controllers (or with our Setup)  and you were the technical enigeer to help us :-)

Lets get back to the topic.

@FlorianBaaske wrote:

You can include the index into the wlan profile. 

This will make sure they are all the same on all Clusters. 

That was also my first thought. I had done it, but Airwave says after the verification -> Configuration = Good (all devices are in the Managemet Level 'Montior only'). That would mean, if i change the Managment Level to 'Manage Read/Write', nothing would be changed. Or do I have to force / push the configuration? When yes, how can i do this?

• 4.  RE: How to set the BSSID order for an Aruba Instant AP via Airwave Template?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 04, 2019 12:26 AM

Hope the problems were gone after I left :) 

Would it be possible to test this and change at least one cluster to read/write? Preferably one where the index is different. 

Afterward, check on the IAP if the index has changed. 

How are the IAP's configured initially, if they are just in monitor only mode in AirWave? 

• 5.  RE: How to set the BSSID order for an Aruba Instant AP via Airwave Template?

Posted Apr 04, 2019 01:01 AM

Hope the problems were gone after I left :) 

Yes and no..we moved  to Aruba... :-D

Would it be possible to test this and change at least one cluster to read/write? Preferably one where the index is different. 

Afterward, check on the IAP if the index has changed. 

I've done it, but nothing changed. I also rebooted all the APs of this cluster. The index isn't changed.

To look how it works, i wanted to test manually it via cli.

Maybe there i had found the problem, why it can't be changed via AirWave.

You can't change the index id to one who is already mapped to another SSID.  As example: SSID 1 has index 1 and SSID 2 has index 0.
    I first had to change the index of the SSID 2 from 0 to 3. Then i couldn't change the id of SSID 1 to 0.

(Somehow this seems to be logical)

After this, i had to reboot them all. The didn't advertise any SSID after this change.

I hope there is an way  to done this in Airwave

How are the IAP's configured initially, if they are just in monitor only mode in AirWave? 

For the configuration, we set them to 'Manage read/write'. After the configuration is done, we but them back to read only.

• 6.  RE: How to set the BSSID order for an Aruba Instant AP via Airwave Template?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 04, 2019 02:22 AM

I will check with my IAP's, but not before tomorrow due to customer meetings. 

• 7.  RE: How to set the BSSID order for an Aruba Instant AP via Airwave Template?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 24, 2019 12:17 AM

I checked with my IAP's and actually, you cannot change the index afterward. 

If you haven't the index in your template during the first setup of the IAP's, they will choose an index by themselves. 

If you change the index in the template afterward, the IAP ignores this change. 

Actually, AirWave will not throw a mismatch, if the index does not correspond to the template. Why is it important for you to have the index in sync? 

• 8.  RE: How to set the BSSID order for an Aruba Instant AP via Airwave Template?

Posted May 10, 2019 06:32 AM

@FlorianBaaske wrote:

I checked with my IAP's and actually, you cannot change the index afterward. 

If you haven't the index in your template during the first setup of the IAP's, they will choose an index by themselves. 

If you change the index in the template afterward, the IAP ignores this change. 

Actually, AirWave will not throw a mismatch, if the index does not correspond to the template. 

Ok. Thanks for testing it. 

@FlorianBaaske wrote:

Why is it important for you to have the index in sync? 

The index isn't really important to me, but  the mac-address of the bssid and this is been created indirectly by the index. I mean, the algorithm how the mac-address is builded is based on the order of the ssids / index.

We have some tools where you can set an alias for a bssid-mac. The these tools can show you the alias instead of the bssid-mac. If all of the ssids had the same index, i could predict / calculate (https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/How-is-the-BSSID-derived-from-the-Access-Point-ethernet-MAC/ta-p/176290) the bssid-mac und automate the alias-name creation.