Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How to solve noise floor (dbm) ? My office use controller 650 and rap 109

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  How to solve noise floor (dbm) ? My office use controller 650 and rap 109

Posted Mar 10, 2015 06:48 AM

Untitled.png

If the channel is 5 make quality is POOR, and noise floor is -82. I have the reboot the AP to making the channel is generate. But the channel not changing, anybody can help me ??

Thanks,

Nada

• 2.  RE: How to solve noise floor (dbm) ? My office use controller 650 and rap 109

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 10, 2015 07:58 AM

What regulatory domain are you using?

Why are you using channels 5 and 7?  You should start using 1,6,11 first....  That could be your problem.

• 3.  RE: How to solve noise floor (dbm) ? My office use controller 650 and rap 109

Posted Mar 10, 2015 09:06 AM
    Hi Joseph,
    The channel use the auto channel, how to setup manual channel to 4 Rap-109?
    or setup auto channel who changing channel when the noise floor interferance?
    thanks

• 4.  RE: How to solve noise floor (dbm) ? My office use controller 650 and rap 109

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 10, 2015 09:22 AM
    What are the channels in your regulatory domain profile and what is your regulatory domain? Those channels are too close together..

• 5.  RE: How to solve noise floor (dbm) ? My office use controller 650 and rap 109

Posted Mar 10, 2015 10:25 AM
    in the building have many office and not have regulatory domain/channel.
    do you tutor me to config the controller? how to make auto channel with sensor changing when the noise floor interference. so the controller can set channel 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11 with automatical

• 6.  RE: How to solve noise floor (dbm) ? My office use controller 650 and rap 109

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 10, 2015 10:26 AM
    Who setup the controller?
    What country?

• 7.  RE: How to solve noise floor (dbm) ? My office use controller 650 and rap 109

Posted Mar 10, 2015 10:33 AM

Nada,

i think you misunderstand how channels work in the 2.4 GHz range

See here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8c/2.4_GHz_Wi-Fi_channels_%28802.11b,g_WLAN%29.svg/2000px-2.4_GHz_Wi-Fi_channels_%28802.11b,g_WLAN%29.svg.png

The channels over lap, and therefore you should only use non-over lapping channels. If you use channels 5 and 7 they will be broadcasting in the same frequency and will interfere with each other. This is why cjoseph i asking which domain you are in so he can recommend the correct channels for you. In most cases it will be channels 1, 6, 11. You should not enabled all channels as this will lead to many issues.

Here is a guide how you can configure the channels in your regulatory domain profile. This profile will tell ARM which channels it can use

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_63_Web_Help/Content/ArubaFrameStyles/AP_Config/AP_Channel_Assignments.htm

_ELiasz

• 8.  RE: How to solve noise floor (dbm) ? My office use controller 650 and rap 109

Posted Mar 10, 2015 10:52 AM
    im from indonesia, sorry my english is bad. but i understand the channel is work.
    what aruba can detect the noise floor? if detect the noise floor, aruba can change channel automatic.
    example : if aruba channel 5, but channel 5 is interference. so aruba changing channel automati to 8 or 11.
    How to setup this auto channel??
    thanks

• 9.  RE: How to solve noise floor (dbm) ? My office use controller 650 and rap 109

Posted Mar 10, 2015 11:00 AM

This is controlled by the feature called ARM. It is enabled per radio on the Access point in the AP Group profile.

On you controller browse to

Configuration > AP Group > Edit Your AP Group > RF Management > 802.11a Radio > Adaptive Radio Management

ARM handles all channel changes and power settings for the Aruba APs. If features like Client Aware are enabled the APs will not change their settings while a client is connected. If you want it to change anyway diable Client Aware.

Here is some high level info about ARM: http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/solutions/TB_ARM.pdf

And a config doc: https://community.arubanetworks.com/aruba/attachments/aruba/70/1204/1/ARM+Doc+Supplement.pdf

• 10.  RE: How to solve noise floor (dbm) ? My office use controller 650 and rap 109

Posted Mar 10, 2015 11:35 AM
    Thx all,
    Eliasz know what i mean. thanks for your tutor Eliasz
    i can try tomorrow in my office, maybe i set enable the client aware.
    so if the client aware is disable, the channel can change automatic when detect noise floor. thats right Eliasz??

• 11.  RE: How to solve noise floor (dbm) ? My office use controller 650 and rap 109

Posted Mar 10, 2015 11:44 AM

With Client Aware enabled this should still happen on APs that do not have clients.

If you disabled the Client/Voice aware features, the AP will change channels whenever it sees there is a better channel.

However i would suggest you follow cjosephs advice as well, and in your regulatory domian you leave only channels 1, 6, and 11 enabled. This will lead to best performance.

The AP has a number of thresholds and timers and when these are exceeded the AP will change channels. It may not be instant.

• 12.  RE: How to solve noise floor (dbm) ? My office use controller 650 and rap 109

Posted Mar 10, 2015 12:07 PM
    thx for your advice
    but in my building have many company. i cant fixed the channel, because there are another access point like tplink, bluesocket, dlink and sometimes tetring with smartphone. this access point use auto-channel and its make interference with my aruba. so my solution is setup the aruba to flexible with the auto channel

thx all
    Nada

• 13.  RE: How to solve noise floor (dbm) ? My office use controller 650 and rap 109
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 10, 2015 12:17 PM

Hi Nada,

I tried to make this clear in my privous post. You said you understood but i think you did not.

Yes, other people in your building are using channels 1, 6 and 11 already. However you should also use these channels. If you use channels 5 for example, this channel over laps with both channels 1 and 6. You will get interference from other access points on both of these channels, and it will cause your channel 5 to have even more issues then if you were just on channel 6. You are not helping yourself at all by using these channels.

Again, see here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8c/2.4_GHz_Wi-Fi_channels_%28802.11b,g_WLAN%29.svg/2000px-2.4_GHz_Wi-Fi_channels_%28802.11b,g_WLAN%29.svg.png

If you use channel 2-5 all of those channels will hear interferenc form channels 1 and 6. If you use channels 7-10 they will receive interference from channels 6 and 11.

By using 1, 6, and 11 your APs have a full 20 mhz channel without overlaping themselves. Settings it to channel 5 does not help you with avoiding interference from neighbours on channels 1 or 6, it will make it worse as now you can hear two APs causing even higher noise.

I've designed WLAN networks for large corporate towers and even in those cases with many interfering neighbour APs you should only ever use the non-overlapping channels.

• 14.  RE: How to solve noise floor (dbm) ? My office use controller 650 and rap 109

Posted Mar 10, 2015 09:41 PM
      |   view attached

THX ALL,

your tutor is work today, the channel can change automatic when the noise floor

• 15.  RE: How to solve noise floor (dbm) ? My office use controller 650 and rap 109

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 10, 2015 11:06 AM

@NADA! wrote:
    im from indonesia, sorry my english is bad. but i understand the channel is work.
    what aruba can detect the noise floor? if detect the noise floor, aruba can change channel automatic.
    example : if aruba channel 5, but channel 5 is interference. so aruba changing channel automati to 8 or 11.
    How to setup this auto channel??
    thanks

By default, the channels should be 1, 6 and 11.  By default, automatic channels changing works properly.  If your access points are on channel 5, you modified it, and it will not work properly.  It needs to be only channels 1, 6 and 11 in your regulatory domain profile, because the other channels will cause interference.  You need to change it back to the defaults.