Wireless Access

last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How to troubleshoot a VIA problem?

This thread has been viewed 13 times
  • 1.  How to troubleshoot a VIA problem?

Posted Jun 21, 2012 07:45 AM

Hi, I have had the VIA client up and running for a while. After I reconfigured the network I am not able to connect with VIA clients. (I have downloaded the new clients, but it still does not work).

I can’t find any information about what happen in the log on the controller. The VIA client comes up with ERR 410 and a message: Virtual Adapter could not be enabled. How can I find out what is happening?:smileyfrustrated:

Tom C.

• 2.  RE: How to troubleshoot a VIA problem?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 21, 2012 08:04 AM

Did the problem start happening after you reconfigured the network?  What was done?

• 3.  RE: How to troubleshoot a VIA problem?

Posted Jun 21, 2012 08:36 AM

The controller was sitting behind our FW and a main router. Then our FW died. Since our most important data systems resides in the clouds the Internet connection is crucial for us. So I reconfigured the WLAN controller and used it as FW as well. At the same time the VIA client stopped working. Now I have put in a new FW and set the controller back to be a normal controller.

While configuring the controller to be a FW I have probably chanced something that affected the VIA client. But I am not able to find out what it is. Especially when I am not able to able to troubleshoot the client either.      

• 4.  RE: How to troubleshoot a VIA problem?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 21, 2012 08:43 AM

Let's start from scratch:

What ports are you allowing in on the Firewall? 

For the Windows VIA clients alone you need https (TCP443) and NAT-T (UDP 4500)

For MAC clients you need IKE (UDP 500), NAT-T (UDP 4500), ESP (IP protocol 50), L2TP  (udp 1701),  and PPTP (TCP 1723)

On the commandline of the controller, you should first see if there are any incoming TCP 443, or UDP 4500connections:

"show datapath session table | include 443"

"show datapath session table | include 4500"

If you do not see any output, you have to fix the controller/firewall relationship.

• 5.  RE: How to troubleshoot a VIA problem?

Posted Jun 21, 2012 08:44 AM

Hi I'm not able to post the log's from the client. The zip'ed file that the client sends are corrupt. It is not possible to open it. :-(

• 6.  RE: How to troubleshoot a VIA problem?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 21, 2012 08:49 AM

Since it was a firewall change, that is probably what you need to focus on, first....

• 7.  RE: How to troubleshoot a VIA problem?
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 21, 2012 10:04 AM

Hi, the PC did not try to connect to the controller at all. So I deleted the “VIA Connection Profile” and configured a new one. Deleted the VIA SW and reinstalled it from scratch, on the PC. Then it worked. :smileyhappy:

• 8.  RE: How to troubleshoot a VIA problem?

Posted Jun 21, 2012 08:07 AM

Tom,

Is this on MAC or Windows (and if so is it XP, Vista or 7?)  Can you post the logs from the client? I had a number of issues when I set mine up so I can give you a few places to look.

Robert