Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

I have a device that keeps showing up as a rogue or suspected rogue or interferer.

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  I have a device that keeps showing up as a rogue or suspected rogue or interferer.

Posted Feb 17, 2014 10:46 AM

This device is not on the network (I believe that it is a laptop and I know it is connected at one of our other sites by finding the mac address in the routers).    I have deleted the device off the discovered access points but it keeps coming back.  It doesn't show any AP's when I click on the locate tab.  I have searched all the switches at my site but it doesn't show up in any of the mac tables either.

How would I either find where it is being seen or get it to stay deleted?

running a 3600 with version 6.3.1.1 OS

Thanks,  Dave

• 2.  RE: I have a device that keeps showing up as a rogue or suspected rogue or interferer.

Posted Feb 17, 2014 12:38 PM

I'd start with the reason the controller thinks it's a rogue.

Next I'd give up making it stay deleted, if it is deleted from the table and comes on the air again, the controller will see it as a new rogue.

A wireless device won't show up on your switch fabric unless it authenticates to the WLAN and then you'll only see it on the controller because the traffic is going to be in the GRE tunnel from AP to controller (unless you're dropping off clients to the local fabric)

Look at which AP detects the signal and triangulate from other detecting APs to find the device.

We get a lot of rogues due to signal strength of personal hot-spots wandering through our stores on customers' hips. I still don't know why a person would walk around burning through his battery life broadcasting a personal hot-spot while grocery-shopping, but I've got 17 of 'em on the air right now.

We use Airwave, and I set it to ignore high signal strength, and manually acknowledge the rogues as needed. I'm not sure how to tell the controller that you don't care about rogue-like behavior from a source you know or trust.

• 3.  RE: I have a device that keeps showing up as a rogue or suspected rogue or interferer.

Posted Feb 17, 2014 02:51 PM

I would like to find out what AP's are showing it but when I click on the locate none show up.  ( I have also wandered around the site looking to find it with a sniffer and did not see it any where). is there a debug I can do to find it comming in?

• 4.  RE: I have a device that keeps showing up as a rogue or suspected rogue or interferer.

Posted Feb 18, 2014 06:32 AM

Try this:

logging level warnings security subcat ids
    logging level warnings security subcat ids-ap

show wms ap list