Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

I have blacklisting on for the SSID and blacklisted several MAC addresses but they still connect.

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  I have blacklisting on for the SSID and blacklisted several MAC addresses but they still connect.

Posted Sep 15, 2015 04:48 PM

I have a guest SSID configured with no security or authentaction. I also have blacklisting on for the SSID and have blacklisted several MAC addresses but the clients are still able to connect. What am I doing wrong. We are using the IAP-225 FW 6.4.2.3-4.1.1.2_48114. Anyone else have a problem like this?

#AP225

• 2.  RE: I have blacklisting on for the SSID and blacklisted several MAC addresses but they still connect.

Posted Sep 15, 2015 04:58 PM

Have you tried disconnecting the client ? And if the can reconnect

• 3.  RE: I have blacklisting on for the SSID and blacklisted several MAC addresses but they still connect.

Posted Sep 16, 2015 08:11 AM

Hi Victor

Thanks for the fast responce. To answer your question, yes I blocked my own MAC address and took the laptop home last night and when I tried to connect to the Guest SSID I had no problems connecting and accessing the internet.

However, now my laptop doesn't show up as connected in the Virtual Controller GUI. 

Thanks Again

Ryan Houtz

• 4.  RE: I have blacklisting on for the SSID and blacklisted several MAC addresses but they still connect.

Posted Sep 16, 2015 10:03 AM

Make sure it is enabled under the SSID > Security Tab

2015-09-16 10_00_34-Instant.png

• 5.  RE: I have blacklisting on for the SSID and blacklisted several MAC addresses but they still connect.

Posted Sep 16, 2015 02:51 PM

Hi Victor

Confirmed the Blacklisting is enabled on the SSID security tab.

We do have access rules setup to prevent users of the Guest SSID from accessing our network

PCs could that cause something like this?

YKKGuestSecurityTab.JPG

• 6.  RE: I have blacklisting on for the SSID and blacklisted several MAC addresses but they still connect.

Posted Sep 16, 2015 02:57 PM

I have expirenced similar behavior.

I think what Victor may have intended was to force a disconnect from the VC, not on the client side.

Once i forced the client away all worked properly in my scenario.

• 7.  RE: I have blacklisting on for the SSID and blacklisted several MAC addresses but they still connect.

Posted Sep 16, 2015 03:15 PM

Hi Jamie

The only problem I have with that is the Virtual Controller isn't showing I'm connected but as seen below the computer is connected.

LaptopWiFi.JPG

YKKGuestClientList.JPG

• 8.  RE: I have blacklisting on for the SSID and blacklisted several MAC addresses but they still connect.

Posted Sep 16, 2015 04:22 PM
    Can you see yourself in the user-table in CLI?

[cid:image001.png@01D0BEE9.3389CA30]

• 9.  RE: I have blacklisting on for the SSID and blacklisted several MAC addresses but they still connect.

Posted Sep 17, 2015 11:31 AM

Hi Jamie

Nope it doesn't show me as connected in the CLI either.

I tried several commands to find it but none would. I jointed the YKKGuest SSID with my phone just to make sure that SSID would show connections and it does as seen below but my laptop mac address is not included. I want to note this problem seems to only occure with this SSID. If I connect to our normal SSID with the mac address blocked it won't associate with the AP.

Show ap association.JPG 

• 10.  RE: I have blacklisting on for the SSID and blacklisted several MAC addresses but they still connect.
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 17, 2015 11:36 AM
    I recommend that you open a TAC case , I tested with the latest early release and it worked but I wouldn't recommend you to upgrade to that version

• 11.  RE: I have blacklisting on for the SSID and blacklisted several MAC addresses but they still connect.

Posted Sep 17, 2015 03:12 PM

Hi Victor

I would open a TAC but Aruba charges for support and even though this looks like a real glitch they would want to know about.

I'm just not willing to pay them for me doing the work and find bugs in their software. 

Seems to me since I paid very good money for their products they would be glad to know about problems and help diagnose issues.

• 12.  RE: I have blacklisting on for the SSID and blacklisted several MAC addresses but they still connect.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 17, 2015 04:45 PM

YKK,

Please PM me and we will open a case and work with you.

• 13.  RE: I have blacklisting on for the SSID and blacklisted several MAC addresses but they still connect.
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 23, 2015 07:26 AM

As of 09-18-2015 I have a TAC open for this problem. As of 09-23-2015 it's being sent to the Aruba engineering team as a possible defect.

I just heard back from Aruba Support yesterday afternoon 09-24-2015.

It looks like the problem was with AOS version 4.1.1.2

After I upgraded to AOS version 4.1.1.8 blacklisting is working flawlessly.

Thanks again for everyones help on this.

• 14.  RE: I have blacklisting on for the SSID and blacklisted several MAC addresses but they still connect.

Posted Sep 17, 2015 12:07 PM

When "connected" are you completing auth and receiving an IP?

Do you have full network access? 

• 15.  RE: I have blacklisting on for the SSID and blacklisted several MAC addresses but they still connect.

Posted Sep 17, 2015 03:02 PM

I do connect and receive the correct IP address from our DHCP server as we use reserved IPs. But I don't have full LAN network access because the SSID is setup with access rules to prevent users from reaching our servers and company PC's. It's setup so all they can do is access the Internet.

YKKGuestAccessRules.JPG