Wireless Access

last person joined: 8 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

I would like to be able to remotely tell what Access Point a Client is connected to.

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  I would like to be able to remotely tell what Access Point a Client is connected to.

Posted Feb 03, 2014 01:56 PM

I would like to have the ability to programatically/remotely tell what Access Point a Client is connected to given only it's mac address.  I can think of two ways to do this.  Create a script to take the mac address as the input and then connect to the controller and run some commands to pull the AP name.  Something like..

#show ap association client-mac MAC-ADDRESS | include  MAC-ADDRESS

or do something through snmp.  If possible I prefer the SNMP method as then I don't have to store the username/password for the controller in a file.  Is this possible to do through SNMP, if so how?  Also if I'm missing an easier way please let me know.

• 2.  RE: I would like to be able to remotely tell what Access Point a Client is connected to.

Posted Feb 03, 2014 02:01 PM

Do you have AirWave ?

• 3.  RE: I would like to be able to remotely tell what Access Point a Client is connected to.

Posted Feb 03, 2014 02:13 PM

No, we have mobility controllers

• 4.  RE: I would like to be able to remotely tell what Access Point a Client is connected to.
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 03, 2014 02:17 PM

You could SNMP walk the switches and based on the port that the MAC appears on you can trace what AP is on that port and thus understand to what AP he is connected.

• 5.  RE: I would like to be able to remotely tell what Access Point a Client is connected to.

Posted Feb 03, 2014 02:40 PM
    Unfortunately my APs aren't connected directly to the controller. They are connected to switches in closets. So I don't think that's going to work

• 6.  RE: I would like to be able to remotely tell what Access Point a Client is connected to.
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 03, 2014 02:50 PM

Thats what I mean .... you SNMP walk the ports on the switch ... thus you find the user on SW A port X - in the documentation then I would think you could see that AP-Y is connected to that port. Thus the Client is connected to AP-Y.

• 7.  RE: I would like to be able to remotely tell what Access Point a Client is connected to.
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 03, 2014 06:02 PM

You can use these SNMP MIBS to achieve this:

Get list of clients with their physical addresses:

snmpwalk -Os -c public -v 2c 1.1.1.1 iso.3.6.1.private.enterprises.14823.2.2.1.1.2.1.1.2
    userPhyAddress.172.16.206.246 = STRING: b8:17:c2:00:11:22

Get a list of locations per client IP:

snmpwalk -Os -c  public -v 2c 1.1.1.1 iso.3.6.1.private.enterprises.14823.2.2.1.1.2.1.1.7
    userLocation.172.16.206.246 = STRING: AP1

You can download the Aruba MIBS and documentation from the Aruba support website.

• 8.  RE: I would like to be able to remotely tell what Access Point a Client is connected to.

Posted Feb 06, 2014 09:33 AM

This looks like exactly what I need, thank you