Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP-103 with 3x3 MIMO?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  IAP-103 with 3x3 MIMO?

Posted Nov 25, 2014 10:11 AM

Our customer has installed some IAP-103, and the SSID shows up as 3x3 MIMO with bit rates at 216.7 and 450 Mbps.

Have I missed that the IAP-103 now is delivered with 3x3 MIMO or could the customer have been so fortunate to receive e.g. IAP-115 in IAP-103 package? (I’ve seen the AP and I’m pretty sure it wasn’t the much bigger IAP-115.) Is there any other reason why the beacons should give me 3x3 MIMO rates?

JV

450 Mbps on AP-103.png

• 2.  RE: IAP-103 with 3x3 MIMO?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 25, 2014 10:44 AM

You should probably ask Wi-Spy how they display maximum rates in their software and how they derived that.  The capability of the device you are using to scan the wireless also plays a part as to what could be displayed as to "rate".  People who use wi-spy look at those columns to make sure the access point is actually displaying 802.11n or 802.11ac but I am not sure they take the rates seriously, due to the variations on how they can be reported:  http://sharkfest.wireshark.org/sharkfest.13/presentations/SEC-13_How-802.11ac-Will-Hide-Problems-From-Wireshark_Joe-Bardwell.pdf

With that being said, a user actually associating to the access point will tell what rates are truly available.

• 3.  RE: IAP-103 with 3x3 MIMO?

Posted Nov 26, 2014 08:39 AM

Hi Colin, thanks for replying.

It’s not the Wi-Spy that is reporting the 3x3 MIMO rates, it’s Chanalyzer5 based on my 2x2 network card Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 #2, and it’s been showing me correct information on any other access points. That’s why I suspect there could be something wrong with the beacon information on the AP-103 or possibly the customer have received the wrong APs..

It's not a big deal just a little curiosity, I'll see if I can have someone have another look and maybe test the connection rates.

JV

• 4.  RE: IAP-103 with 3x3 MIMO?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 26, 2014 09:54 AM

JV,

If you could get a packet capture of the beacons being sent out by that access point, TAC could analyze what is being advertised and see if that has anything to do with what chanylzer is reporting.

• 5.  RE: IAP-103 with 3x3 MIMO?

Posted Aug 24, 2015 03:33 PM

Was there any solution? We see the same issue on our customers iap-103-rw.

Best Regards

Michael