Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP 224 limit

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  IAP 224 limit

Posted Jul 13, 2016 01:53 PM

Hi, hope you can help me..

I have 2 scenarios:

Scenario 1

Use the 224 with ANT-3x3-D608, the antenna has 3 connectors and the IAP 3 as well. It means that we must use the 3 connectors to use this antenna? or can use just 1 of them?  and the other question is, I can use 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz but not both at the same time?

Scenario 2

Use the 224 with AP-ANT-91, this antenna just has 1 connector, it means that if I got 3 antennas I can use them on the IAP?. In this case, the antenna is dual-band, so it means that it transmit 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz at the same time?

In both scenarios, the antennas' dBi are higher or equals than 5. But on the IAP 220 DS I can see that the dB of this is limited to 1.5 dB in 2.4Ghz and 3.0 dB in 5Ghz. Is it going to affect the gain or scope of the antenna?

Attachment(s)

pdf
    ap-ant-91.pdf   480 KB 1 version
    pdf
    DS_AP220Series.pdf   708 KB 1 version
    pdf
    DS_ANT-3x3-D608.pdf   324 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: IAP 224 limit
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 13, 2016 11:59 PM

1) the (I)AP-224 has three diplexed RP-SMA connectors that carry both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz on the same connectors. However, the ANT-3x3-D608, which is a dual band 3x3 antennas will work, but you will need some kind of RP-SMA-to-N jumper to connect that antenna to that AP. And you are correct, you should connect all three antenna connectors to all three antenna ports on the physical antenna (they are required for MIMO, MRC, etc).

2) The ANT-91 (even if you had three of them) is not recommended as they are not an integrated package and will not give optimal performance. You COULD use a single antenna, which means you would have to provision the AP in 'single-chain' mode (aka only use the ANT0 connector), but you will lose all MIMO, MRC, lower power output and shorter ranged, all the thigns that make the 224 great. 

As far as antenna gain, you can use whatever antenna you want, the 1.5dB @2.4GHz and 3dB@5Ghz is stating the internal loss of the AP's diplexor to combine the separate 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz onto the same connector. It's basically stating that compared to the (I)AP-225, there is a bit of additional loss in using external antennas.

• 3.  RE: IAP 224 limit

Posted Jul 16, 2016 01:31 PM

Thank you jhoward..