Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP-275 cluster conversion errors (IAP->CAP)

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  IAP-275 cluster conversion errors (IAP->CAP)

Posted Mar 22, 2018 12:18 PM

We need to convert a lots of IAPs to CAP mode, then will works with a mobility controller.

We have 2 type of IAPs, 207s and 275s.

IAP-207 conversions works correctly, but have a lot of issues with the 275s. Based on the experience so far, it is a continuous phenomenon that some members of the cluster do not convert. The problem is present in smaller (2-3 AP) and larger (15-20 AP) cluster sizes.Viewing the log file displays the following error messages on that APs:

aa:aa:aa:aa:aa:aa# show log upgrade

----------Download log start----------

Executing '/aruba/bin/download_image_swarm ac-ftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/e500.ari --no-proxy X-Ap-Info:xxxxxxxxxxx,aa:aa:aa:aa:aa:aa,AP-275'
    fetching ('/usr/sbin/wget -T 120 -t 3 --no-proxy --header=X-Ap-Info:xxxxxxxxxxx,aa:aa:aa:aa:aa:aa,AP-275 -a /tmp/download_url_log ftp://sap:x@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/e500.ari')
    --00:06:07--  ftp://sap:*password*@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/e500.ari
               => `e500.ari'
    Connecting to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:21... failed: Connection timed out.
    Retrying.

--00:06:28--  ftp://sap:*password*@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/e500.ari
      (try: 2) => `e500.ari'
    Retrying.

--00:06:50--  ftp://sap:*password*@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/e500.ari
      (try: 3) => `e500.ari'
    Giving up.

Error: failed to retrieve image
    cleaning up
    done

----------Download log end------------
    Download status: Retrieve image fail
    ----------Upgrade log start----------
    upgrade log not available
    ----------Upgrade log end------------
    Upgrade status: upgrade status not available

What can be caused these type of errors?

The error is annoying because it is time-consuming after the conversion to identify which AP has not been converted from many. (have to do thousands of pieces)

The internet connection type is leased line, it's stable, haven't got any problems.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: IAP-275 cluster conversion errors (IAP->CAP)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 22, 2018 01:17 PM

The conversion happens between the individual access points and the controller and does not involve the internet.

What version of ArubaOS code are you running on your controller?

What network equipment is between the IAPs and the controller?

• 3.  RE: IAP-275 cluster conversion errors (IAP->CAP)

Posted Mar 22, 2018 02:41 PM

Its involve, because the controller is at another site. We have a router, that connect to the other side by a VPN tunnel over the public internet (I think the tunnel is L2TP, but not sure)

The point is that the router's LAN side has the wifi management subnet where the IAPs are connected and the controller can be accessed from this subnet via L3 via the aforementioned tunnel. We do not know the network more deeply, we have no access to the router or the controller. (only physical access to the router)

After the conversion I can't enter to APs, but I have a console access, I can reset it from the boot menu by factory_reset command.

IAP-275s running 6.4.2.6-4.1.1.6 (50009).

After the conversion, this software loads on them: 6.5.1.4 (58698)

I reported the problem to the administrator of the other site, just would like to make sure the bug is not on our side.

• 4.  RE: IAP-275 cluster conversion errors (IAP->CAP)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 22, 2018 03:41 PM

It could be an MTU issue.  You should try upgrading it on the same side of the VPN tunnel as the controller to see if you have better results.

• 5.  RE: IAP-275 cluster conversion errors (IAP->CAP)

Posted Mar 22, 2018 05:12 PM

Unfortunately this is not possible, we have the APs and routers (thousands), the controller and other infrastructure are on the other side. The two sites are geographically very far apart.

I was wondering if there was any way to go so that APs could be converted to campus software on a regular basis? (eg local tftp or ftp server)

MTU problem would consider strange, because according to the timeout error occurs, do not start to download the software.