Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP-325 will not power up with POE

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  IAP-325 will not power up with POE

Posted May 09, 2016 12:56 PM

I have installed three new IAP-325's and one of them will not power up using a POE power injector.  It will power up using an external power supply.  Am I missing a setting or is it possible for the ethernet port to still connect to the network but will not allow the unit to power up?  Thanks for your help.

• 2.  RE: IAP-325 will not power up with POE

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 09, 2016 01:01 PM

What power injector model? And is the port that the power injector plugged in to also providing POE? Most POE injectors, when plugged in to a POE port on a switch, will become passive and pass on the POE from the switch.

So if you have an 802.3at power injector, plugged in to an 802.3af POE port on a switch, the injector will pass on the 802.3af power to the AP. So the quickest thing to do is disable POE on the port that the injector is connected to.

Otherwise, check the cables, etc. 

• 3.  RE: IAP-325 will not power up with POE

Posted May 09, 2016 03:05 PM

I am using a WiFi-Texas power injector, model description; WS-GPOE-6-48v120w gigabit 802.3af passive POE 6 Port Power over Ethernet Injector.  I'm using a non-POE switch.  As soon as I disconnect the external power supply both LEDs go dark.  I currently have two other IAP-325s plugged into the same power injector. 

• 4.  RE: IAP-325 will not power up with POE

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 09, 2016 03:13 PM

Do you have the POE plugged in to ENET0 or ENET1 of the non-working AP? If in ENET1, you need to move it to ENET0. How many other APs or devices are connected to the 6-port POE injector?

If the above isn't it, you should swap working and non-working APs to see if the problem stays with the injector or with the AP. 

• 5.  RE: IAP-325 will not power up with POE

Posted May 09, 2016 03:24 PM

I've already tried both enet0 and enet1, neither will power up the AP.  I've moved the working APs to the same POE injector ports and everything is working.  I've reset the AP to factory defaults and it still won't power up without an external power supply.  I would have figured the ethernet port was bad but it does connect to the network and you can see the AP when you log into the admin account and there are end users connected.  This has been an interesting problem.   

• 6.  RE: IAP-325 will not power up with POE

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 09, 2016 03:28 PM

Next step would be to capture the console output of the not working 325 while connected...otherwise if it won't come up on ANY power injector or POE switch, you will have to open a TAC case.