Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP restarting

This thread has been viewed 51 times
  • 1.  IAP restarting

Posted Apr 07, 2017 01:46 PM
      |   view attached

Hi guys,

I was trying to connect to the Instant SSID of an IAP which has no uplink connection. I have read in other post in order to do this possible, I have to assign a static IP, and that is what I did.

After assigning a static IP by console, the IAP boots and after a while starts broadcasting the Instant SSID, I can connect, but after a couple of minutes the IAP restarts and I don't know why. I attach the console output. What's happening?

Regards,

Julián

Attachment(s)

txt
    putty.txt   13 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: IAP restarting

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 07, 2017 06:36 PM

What do you plan to do with an IAP that has no network connectivity?

• 3.  RE: IAP restarting

Posted Apr 07, 2017 06:46 PM

Hi Colin,

I want to completely configure some IAPs at office, and once configured bring the IAPs to customer site and connect them to its network for fast deployment. I don't want to waste time at customer site. But I can't do this because the IAP keeps restarting.

Regards,

Julián

• 4.  RE: IAP restarting

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Apr 08, 2017 03:48 AM

Hey, can you try running "show version" after one if the times the IAP has rebooted? There will be a line that gives you the Reboot Time and Cause, this might provide some clues.

Also try deleting the Instant SSID and creating a test SSID to configure management. I have seen instances where the "Instant" SSID has uplink/OOS configuration causing the AP to reboot unless the Instant SSID is removed.

• 5.  RE: IAP restarting

Posted Apr 10, 2017 11:33 AM
      |   view attached

Hi zailon0,

I issued "show version" after the IAP has rebooted and this is the output:

a8:bd:27:ca:79:14# show version
    Aruba Operating System Software.
    ArubaOS (MODEL: 325), Version 6.5.1.0-4.3.1.0
    (c) Copyright 2016 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Development LP.
    Compiled on 2016-12-15 at 03:19:05 PST (build 57768) by p4build
    FIPS Mode :disabled

AP uptime is 3 minutes 21 seconds
    Reboot Time and Cause: AP rebooted Thu Jan 1 08:08:12 UTC 1970; Current uplink down, no useable uplink

Therefore, you cannot access the WebUI when there is no uplink connection because the IAP reboots. Then, there is no way to configure an IAP wherever you are if there is no a Ethernet connection.

On the other hand, I have done the second option, to configure a SSID and power on the IAP and check if it reboots, and indeed the IAP reboots anyway. Attached the output of this second option, you'll see the cause if the same.

Regards,

Julián

Attachment(s)

txt
    putty2.txt   29 KB 1 version

• 6.  RE: IAP restarting

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Apr 10, 2017 11:50 AM

Have you tried enforcing the uplink? 

To enforce an uplink:
    1. Click the System > show advanced settings > Uplink. The Uplink tab contents are displayed.
    2. Under Management, select the type of uplink from the Enforce Uplink drop-down list. If Ethernet uplink
    is selected, the Port text box is displayed.
    3. Specify the Ethernet interface port number.
    4. Click OK. The selected uplink is enforced on the IAP.

This should ensure that eth1 is always used regardless of the uplink. I've never test this feature but do you want to give it a go?

• 7.  RE: IAP restarting

Posted Apr 10, 2017 11:55 AM

Hi zailon0,

I will try and let you know. In the meanwhile I have other question. As I told you, I have configure a SSID and also a static IP, netmask and default gateway on the IAP. When running the "show running-config", I can't see this configuration in the output, why not?

Regards,

Julián

• 8.  RE: IAP restarting

Posted Apr 11, 2017 01:55 AM

Hi Julian,

The static IP parameters are AP specific & will not be listed in the running config

You can view them using the following command

show ap-env

For the other issue, is the ethernet LED lit up on the IAP as I can see the messages related to "Ethernet uplink not active".

Without detection of physical link, IAP will keep rebooting.

• 9.  RE: IAP restarting

Posted Apr 11, 2017 10:25 AM

Hi Nitesh,

Thanks for the configuration question.

About the issue, this IAP has no Ethernet LED, but in any casethe IAP has the uplink disconnected on purpose. I wanted to test if the WebUI can be accessed when the uplink is disconnnected, and I have confirmed it can't be, at least with this model and firmware.

Regards,

Julián 

• 10.  RE: IAP restarting

Posted Apr 10, 2017 01:14 PM
      |   view attached

Hi zailon0,

I have tried enforcing the uplink. It seems the IAP lasts a little more, but finally it reboots anyway. Before rebooting, you can see this line:

[  169.275007] ip_timer_handler: ignore uplink port state, wifi uplink 0- 3g uplink 0- enforce eth0 1

After rebooting, I have issued the "show version" and now the cause is the gateway is unrecheable. Whatever the case may be, if the uplink is not connected, the IAP always reboots. Attached the output.

Regards,

Julián

Attachment(s)

txt
    putty3.txt   26 KB 1 version

• 11.  RE: IAP restarting

Posted May 10, 2021 10:34 AM
    Hello,

I wanted to ask if there is a solution for the "problem" in the meantime.

I want to use a single Aruba 505 (APIN0505) for site survey with a battery powered poe injector at the customers site. Since I don't have an uplink for this either, the constant reboots are rather a hindrance. I have already tried the options recommended in this thread, but without success.

------------------------------
    Dennis Urbanczyk

• 12.  RE: IAP restarting

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 10, 2021 10:42 AM
    This thread is almost 4 years old.  Have you tried the configuration here?  https://blog.theitrebel.com/2018/11/13/aruba-iap-site-survey/

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 13.  RE: IAP restarting

Posted Aug 30, 2022 12:48 AM
    I have the same issue.

[AP rebooted Fri Mar 4 10:30:26 UTC 2022; System cmd at uptime 0D 0H 38M 27S: Current uplink down, no useable uplink
    shutting down watchdog process (nanny will restart it)...]

This article is 5 years old.

Can I now use IAP without uplink??

• 14.  RE: IAP restarting

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 30, 2022 01:35 AM
    you need to convert IAP to a standalone mode.
    just click on link that cjoseph provided.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 15.  RE: IAP restarting

Posted Jan 05, 2023 01:59 AM
    @ariyap
    ariyap's answer is correct.
    as he said,
    If there is no uplink,
    Standalone converting was required.

• 16.  RE: IAP restarting

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 05, 2023 04:21 AM

The most easiest way is to bring the AP on an DHCP enable port up. Configure the system and then use it as designated.

The AP will reboot, because the Gateway is unreachable:

Reboot Time and Cause: AP rebooted Thu Jan 1 08:08:53 UTC 1970; Gateway unreachable

That´s why the AP is in a reboot loop.
    Be sure to a) use the correct static IP / Gateway / Mask combination or b) a DHCP capable Port

After you have stable access to the AP you should Upgrade it to a more recent version. I would recommend as of today the latest 8.7.x or 8.10.x Release