Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all
This thread has been viewed 20 times
  • 1.  IAP to CAP

Posted Jul 27, 2018 01:33 AM

Hi,

I have 70 IAP all new in the box, we want to deploy them at one of our branch offices as a controller base. is there a way to convert them to from IAP to CAP without creating IAP cluster first and then transfer them? 

• 2.  RE: IAP to CAP
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 27, 2018 04:05 AM

Not that I am aware of, I think the only way is to convert them in batches. Unless this has changed in the new unified AP OS

However, its' pretty easy to convert them all at once:

• You'll need to whitelist them on your controller first.
    • Connect all the IAPs to your network but only boot one at this stage. This will become the master IAP 
    • Connect to the Instant SSID
    • Using a browser, visit http://instant.arubanetworks.com
    • Password admin admin
    • As you have multiple IAPs to be converted, they should be booted now (after the first IAP has started up completely) - the extra IAPs will swarm to join the Instants AP master; when conversion takes place, all the IAPs in the swarm will be converted together. The number of APs which have joined the swam will update in the web page displayed after logging in to the first one.
    • Select the Maintenance link in the top right corner of the page
    • Select the Convert tab.
    • In the drop-down list select Campus APs managed by a Mobility Controller in the IP address box, enter the IP or hostname of your controller
    • Click convert now

It can take up to 15 minutes for the conversion to take place.

Hope that helps

Alexander.

• 3.  RE: IAP to CAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 27, 2018 06:18 AM

Hi 

Which model of AP?

You can do this quicker by concole. 

1. Power on the AP

2. stop the boot process

3. setenv master <ip address MC>

4. setenv serverip <ip address MC>

5. saveenv

6. boot ap

Hope this helps

• 4.  RE: IAP to CAP

Posted Jul 27, 2018 07:05 AM

@mrtwentytwo wrote:

Hi 

Which model of AP?

1. Power on the AP

2. stop the boot process

5. saveenv

6. boot ap

Hope this helps

I may be wrong but to be able to do this from a boot I think this has to be an AP that ships with  ArubaOS 6.5.2.0 or above i.e. from the Unified AP platform.

Also if the IP of the master / switch is saved directly into the AP, am I correct in thinking it's much harder to be able to change these variables down the line?

Alexander

• 5.  RE: IAP to CAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 27, 2018 07:13 AM

@wifialexander wrote:

@mrtwentytwo wrote:

Hi 

Which model of AP?

1. Power on the AP

2. stop the boot process

5. saveenv

6. boot ap

Hope this helps

I may be wrong but to be able to do this from a boot I think this has to be an AP that ships with  ArubaOS 6.5.2.0 or above i.e. from the Unified AP platform.

Also if the IP of the master / switch is saved directly into the AP, am I correct in thinking it's much harder to be able to change these variables down the line?

Alexander

If you do the convert from the GUI, it does the same, setting the printenv AFAIK. Look at this previous post from 2014:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/IAP-to-rap-apboot-conversion/ta-p/176836

It should work also on IAP and not only UAP.

• 6.  RE: IAP to CAP

Posted Jul 27, 2018 07:16 AM

@mrtwentytwo

If you do the convert from the GUI, it does the same, setting the printenv AFAIK. Look at this previous post from 2014:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/IAP-to-rap-apboot-conversion/ta-p/176836

It should work also on IAP and not only UAP.

Oh I did not know that! Thats actually realy useful to know - thank you!

• 7.  RE: IAP to CAP

Posted Jul 27, 2018 08:08 PM

Thanks for the reply, that was helpfule 

• 8.  RE: IAP to CAP

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jul 27, 2018 05:46 AM

Is there a reason you want to complete this before creating a cluster? When the IAP's have created a cluster you can convert them at once either that or you do them one by one.

• 9.  RE: IAP to CAP

Posted Jul 27, 2018 05:55 AM

@Craig Syme wrote:

Is there a reason you want to complete this before creating a cluster? When the IAP's have created a cluster you can convert them at once either that or you do them one by one.

From the way I read the post,  I think they want an easier way of provisioning them without creating the cluster, (though in my opinion its pretty easy to do).

Alexander

• 10.  RE: IAP to CAP

Posted Jul 27, 2018 08:09 PM

@Craig Syme wrote:

Just want to know if there is a faster way to do it.