Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP275 mesh signal strength

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  IAP275 mesh signal strength

Posted Aug 08, 2016 02:48 AM

Hi,

I did an outdoor site survey with IAP-275s. After the site survey was done the customer decided he wanted to mesh access points instead of cabling them all.

It's a fairly large outdoor area, with trees and buildings. We have the measurements in Ekahau so that's not a problem, I just don't know what the ideal signal strength (and SNR) is for a mesh to work properly on the 5GHz frequency band.

I know you shouldn't really go over 3 hops, but that's about it.. I couldn't really find any other topics on this for the IAP-275.

Kind regards,

Tom

• 2.  RE: IAP275 mesh signal strength

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 08, 2016 10:00 AM

SNR/Mesh Link RSSI between 20-40 is deal (20 will be lower but stable MCS rates). Anything over 40 is overkill. 

• 3.  RE: IAP275 mesh signal strength

Posted Aug 08, 2016 10:01 AM

Ok thanks, so as long as I have an SNR of <20, signal strength doesn't matter?

• 4.  RE: IAP275 mesh signal strength
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 08, 2016 10:04 AM

it matters yes, stronger is better up to or just over ~40. lower SNR will result in lower MCS rates . Only you or the customer will know what is acceptable. What are they throughput requirements and what channel bandwidths are they looking at? If they only need 5-10, then yea it won't matter much. If they are looking for 60-80Mbps, it will, esp when you take ACI and trees, buildings, other obstructions, etc in to account.