Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

IGMP Snooping when Aruba is the VLAN router

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  IGMP Snooping when Aruba is the VLAN router

Posted Jan 28, 2014 05:31 PM

Is it possible for IGMP Snooping to work on a VLAN if the Aruba controller is the VLAN router?

ArubaOS does not appear to support PIM (thus no multicast routing to other routers in our network.) However, we'd like to allow multicast within certain wireless VLAN's that are routed by the Aruba (for mDNS, etc.), but don't want to have multicast flooding. On a traditional switched network I've always relied on igmp-snooping to help with this. However, it appears that without an IGMP querier in place, the IGMP snooping on the Aruba is not working reliably (no memberships in the Aruba IGMP groups.) If I turn off IGMP snooping, the mcast traffic makes it through, but I'm afraid it's just being flooding.

We're running ArubaOS 6.3.1.2

• 2.  RE: IGMP Snooping when Aruba is the VLAN router

Posted Jan 28, 2014 05:47 PM

You should use igmp proxy and see if it works better for you. I think that's the Aruba recommended igmp option

• 3.  RE: IGMP Snooping when Aruba is the VLAN router

Posted Jan 29, 2014 03:23 AM

I can only tell you I've tried the snooping when the controller wasn't the VLAN router, and it worked fine. If it was the router, can't see why it would not work, but I might be wrong.

You're right, no PIM.

You mention mDNS, is Airgroup not an option for you?

"it appears that without an IGMP querier in place, the IGMP snooping on the Aruba is not working reliably (no memberships in the Aruba IGMP groups.) If I turn off IGMP snooping, the mcast traffic makes it through, but I'm afraid it's just being flooding."

It sounds to me like the stream source is off-net, and the snooping is blocking the join before the querier hears it. So, in that case, the other comment about proxy sounds like an option. Either that, or perhaps try putting an IP on the controller in the same VLAN as the source (which might not work if snooping was on the switches in that VLAN).

With snooping and proxy off, it might well flood. You definately want to drop bcast/mcast in the VAP. Also, have a look at dynamic mcast optimization.

Thanks.