Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

IPSec over Mesh

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  IPSec over Mesh

Posted Mar 12, 2012 06:39 AM

Hi,

I have an Aruba Controller (SW: 6.1.2.7) and I have to build up a Mesh. This mesh is secured by WPA. My problem ist that the customer does not trust WPA.

Is there a soulution to encapsulate the WPA-Traffic into an IPSec tunnel? I've readed about double-encryption but this is only a feature for RAPs.

Regards,

Marco

• 2.  RE: IPSec over Mesh

Posted Mar 12, 2012 10:34 AM

Please note that Aruba OS MESH links are encrypted by WPA-2, not WPA.   A big difference... although neither is in danger of being practically breached at this point in time.

Keep in mind that the WPA-2 we use on mesh links utilizes AES encryption (circa 1990's) which is ~20 years newer than the typical encryption type used by VPN clients (3DES...circa 1970's).    aka.   one is actually much 'safer' when using AES... aka the Mesh link encryption than a VPN client if one takes a step back to consider the underlying technologies in use.

Hope that helps... ?

JF 

• 3.  RE: IPSec over Mesh

Posted Mar 16, 2012 08:14 AM

Hi,

thanks for your answer. Yes WPA2 is secure, I believe that :-)

But the customer want's to have an IPSec-Tunnel in the WPA2-Tunnel because he dont trusts in WPA2.

Is there a possibility?

The solution should be

RAP ------> MESH-Point --------------------------------> Meshportal ---------->LAN------------> Aruba

In this sample the RAP will make an IPSec-Tunnel to the Controller. He uses the Mesh-Bridge so that ther is IPSec encapsulated in an WPA2.

Is this solution possible without the RAP (with only 2 APs)?

Regards,

Marco

• 4.  RE: IPSec over Mesh

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 16, 2012 08:48 AM

@mawe wrote:

Hi,

thanks for your answer. Yes WPA2 is secure, I believe that :-)

But the customer want's to have an IPSec-Tunnel in the WPA2-Tunnel because he dont trusts in WPA2.

Is there a possibility?

The solution should be

RAP ------> MESH-Point --------------------------------> Meshportal ---------->LAN------------> Aruba

In this sample the RAP will make an IPSec-Tunnel to the Controller. He uses the Mesh-Bridge so that ther is IPSec encapsulated in an WPA2.

Is this solution possible without the RAP (with only 2 APs)?

Regards,

Marco

Marco, is this a wireless or wired client that will be connecting to the mesh point?

• 5.  RE: IPSec over Mesh

Posted Mar 19, 2012 04:12 AM

Hi,

there will be a switch which is connected to the Mesh-Point via LAN. The Mesh-Point is a single-radio-AP so that there will be no wireless connectivity for clients.

Problem is that the customer dont wants to use VPN-Clients :-/

All things should be done by the Controller.