Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Instant AP often required to be restarted to allow Guests SSID to access the internet

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Instant AP often required to be restarted to allow Guests SSID to access the internet

Posted Jul 16, 2018 12:59 AM

Hi Guys,

I have this "Virtual Controller" every time the end user reports no internet connections I have to restart the IAP/Virtual Controller.

In this instance, One IAP is the Virtual Controller, is there a way to find out why the there's no internet, but once the IAP is restarted the internet is accessible. 

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Instant AP often required to be restarted to allow Guests SSID to access the internet

Posted Jul 16, 2018 01:05 AM

When a user reports no internet connection, what is their state at that time? Not connected to the network, connected to the network without IP address or connected to the network with appropraite IP address.

Also, where is your DHCP server configured. Is it on IAP VC or you are suing your corporate DHCP subnet. What is the subnet size reserved for guests and generally how many users are connected simultaneously to the network?

• 3.  RE: Instant AP often required to be restarted to allow Guests SSID to access the internet

Posted Jul 16, 2018 01:17 AM

Hi JayBee,

On a windows environment its shows "SSID" as "No Internet, secured" 

However, in cases like this, I had to restart the IAP* which is logged in via Instant AP, to restart the IAP. Other SSIDs are not affected, the settings have not been changed since. 

I have masked some contents. - User end.

Also an attached backend controller. 

Each time the user reports this issue, we simply restart the IAP* and services are back to normal, I would like to know what is the issue and how we can remediate this.

Controller Version: 
    Was 6.5.4.4_62887
    just upgraded to  6.5.4.7_64552

Thanks

• 4.  RE: Instant AP often required to be restarted to allow Guests SSID to access the internet

Posted Jul 16, 2018 01:18 AM

Just want to know how we can Troubleshoot it and like resolve it, or if worse, how we can setup scheduled reboot on the IAP.

• 5.  RE: Instant AP often required to be restarted to allow Guests SSID to access the internet

Posted Jul 16, 2018 02:13 AM

So the reason to ask DHCP server details is I want to rule out that if DHCP server is configured on your controller for the Guest SSID & your lease time is long, then you are are running out of available IPs on the guest network. Once you reload the controller, the lease database resets and Guest SSIDs starts working again.

Again, can you check if the device showing no internet message has acquired an IP address or not?

• 6.  RE: Instant AP often required to be restarted to allow Guests SSID to access the internet

Posted Jul 16, 2018 02:22 AM
      |   view attached

Hi JayBee,

I've just checked the Virtual Controller, its not configured with DHCP.

Currently the users have internet access, since I've upgraded the firmware and rebooted those APs.

I would like to find out if possible the issue with a particular SSID, as users were reporting that the said "SSID" does not have internet. 

Thanks