Wireless Access

MVP Expert

Re: Instant UI problems

Hi Julian,

I tried testing it in lab & had the following findings:

1. I had an IAP connected to switchport configured in access mode.

The access mode vlan did not had any DHCP server mapped to it.

2. IAP booted up with the default IP (169.254.x.x) & started broadcasting the Instant SSID.

3. I connected a wireless client to it & it was assigned IP address in 172.x.x.x range from the IAP.

4. When I tried accessing the WebUI for the IAP, it was inaccessible.

I ran a debug pkt dump on the IAP & found that ARP request sent by the client for the IAP's IP (169.254.x.x) was being dropped on the IAP.

So, i added a static ARP on the client device for IAP's IP post which I was able to access the Web UI.

I will check internally for the reason ARP packets are dropped by the IAP & update the thread.

Meanwhile, please try with static ARP option when your IAP is in 169.254.x.x address & check if you are able to access the Web UI.

Hi Nitesh,

Good lab! The IAP has a weird behaviour dropping ARP packets. I will try with the static ARP option in a couple of days once I am back at office. But the magic of Instant should work without having to configure anything on client, since that is what is said in the Official Instant User Guide and the Airheads youtube IAP tutorials.

Regards,

Julián

MVP Expert

Hi Julian,

I was testing this using IAP-205.

This issue was fixed beginning 4.3.1.0 & 4.3.0.3 release.

I was running 4.2.4.6 on my IAP when i encountered the issue.

Post upgrading to 4.3.1.0, I am able to access th WebUI without any issues.

When you plan to test in lab, please collect the following:

1. Client side wireless pcap

2. on IAP, enable the following & collect the output while you are trying to access WebUi

show version

debug pkt match mac <mac-address of client>

debug pkt type any

debug pkt dump

Hi Nitesh,

I will not be able to capture all the output on the IAP you say, since this IAP has a non-conventional console cable which I don't have. Therefore maybe I will never know the exact problem of this IAP.

Regards,

Julián

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: