Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Inter-Vlan routing

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  Inter-Vlan routing

Posted Aug 12, 2014 11:00 AM

Good day,

We are looking at creating vlan's in our network. There will be four different vlan's each that will have its own subnet range.

There are no routers configured in our current network.

In the user guide as well as the datasheets for the S1500-24P it states that only one Routed VLAN Interface can be configured to the switch.

Is this correct or are we able to create the four vlans and assign each of the vlans an ip address and have the different vlans speak to each other using the S1500 switch?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Inter-Vlan routing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 12, 2014 11:11 AM

Chause,

All members of the Mobility Access Switch family support Layer 3 routing including inter-vlan routing. So yes you can create 4 vlans with associated IP addresses and route between them. Can you point me to where in the datasheet and user guide you see the reference about a single RVI? I need to get that corrected.

Best regards,

Madani

• 3.  RE: Inter-Vlan routing

Posted Aug 12, 2014 11:17 AM

Hi Madani,

Thanks for the reply.

I have downloaded the user guide ArubaOS 7.0 Mobility Access Switch.

Page 66 states the following:

For Layer 3 connectivity, you can assign an IP address to the VLAN interface. Only one VLAN interface can
    be configured in this release. VLAN interface 1 is configured by default. Before configuring any new VLAN
    interface, you should remove the existing VLAN interface.

Perhaps I understood it wrong. I looked at the www.arubanetworks.com site first to see the data sheet fo the switches. In the data sheet it states 

• Routed VLAN Interface (RVI)

So after looking at the user guide and the data sheet it creates the impression that you are only able to create one interface and assign an ip to that.

• 4.  RE: Inter-Vlan routing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 12, 2014 11:23 AM

Chause,

Ahh that explains it. The 7.0 user guide only covers features from 7.0 which was our initial release for the Mobility Access Switches and we didn't support intervlan routing then. The S1500s were released with 7.2.3.0. We are now on version 7.3, please use that user guide.

Best regards,

Madani

• 5.  RE: Inter-Vlan routing

Posted Aug 12, 2014 11:12 AM
    You can definitely have 4 VLANs, each with its own IP address and use the 1500 to route between them as long as the clients use the IP assigned to the interface as their default gateway.