Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Intermittent I flag on AP-275

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Intermittent I flag on AP-275

Posted Sep 05, 2014 02:22 PM

I have identically configured AP-275's. On occassion, some of them throw an I flag (inactive) on the controller. As far as Airwave is concerned, they are up. The only thing that clears the I flag seems to be a POE power cycle. Doing a reboot does not do the trick.

These AP's and their network connections are in a zoo's animal areas, so they are very inconvenient to physically lay hands on.

Any suggestions? The 275's that I have connected to an Aruba POE switch have not yet experienced this problem. It's only the ones with POE injectors. But it's only some of those, and they are the same POE throughout. 

One of the ones that is currently showing I is pingable with a 3 ms roundtrip. And if I look at the switch port, I see no ethernet errors. Everything looks normal, but no clients connect and I have an inactive flag showing.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Intermittent I flag on AP-275

Posted Sep 05, 2014 05:14 PM

another data point as I just reset the POE and cleared the 2 I flags. When it was in I status, the AP had a solid red light. Upon boot, it flashed amber and green alternately. Is the light status documented somewhere?

It definitely does seem POE related. To clear these, I just briefly unplugged and replugged the CAT 6 cable that provided power to the AP. The POE was lit amber until I did do, then it went green.

• 3.  RE: Intermittent I flag on AP-275

Posted Sep 06, 2014 12:51 AM

Not sure what your issue ultimately was caused by, but the LED status is described in the AP-270 installation guide and depicted below.

ap275-led.png

• 4.  RE: Intermittent I flag on AP-275

Posted Sep 08, 2014 08:36 AM

Thanks. It's definitely POE related. We had some power browns and, despite being on a surge protected UPS, the POE seemed to hang up. The AP was lit red. I unplugged the powered CAT6 and plugged it back in, and that brought the AP back.

I guess I consider it a bug that Airwave reports this AP as up while the controller has it in Inactive status. As it is, I need to check the controller flags and status manually if I suspect a problem or see a red light on the AP.

• 5.  RE: Intermittent I flag on AP-275

Posted Nov 30, 2014 11:39 PM

Hi, I am now seeing similar problems on AP-275 and AP-274... did this problem reoccur for you?

Edit: more info, exact same symptoms, mine occured only after provisioning. Before provisioning all 5 APs were up in default group, after provisioning only 2 APs re-registered. The other 3 have the exact same config, same connected switch config, are pingable but will not register to master. There are mildly intelligible debug logs relating to POE and LACP. Version 6.4.2.2. Opened a TAC case, but thought I'd canvas here as well and record issue for others.

Edit2: I tried disabling the second AP port and LACP on the switch. Voila, the AP registered. But I then noticed it still thought LACP was active (show ap debug lacp). So rebooted and now same problem, AP won't register but is pingable. 

• 6.  RE: Intermittent I flag on AP-275

Posted Dec 01, 2014 08:40 AM

For me, a pingable 275 that is seen by Airwave but shows an "I" flag in the controller has always been power related. There's enough power to boot the AP and its LAN interface, but not enough power to power up the radios. I have a few HP switches that have to be configured to provide 26W to each port. In other cases, a power outage or brownout puts the POE in a weird state, so I need to unplug and replug those.

• 7.  RE: Intermittent I flag on AP-275

Posted Dec 01, 2014 03:34 PM

There's a known issue with the 275 combined with certain switches not dealing well when LLDP takes too long to negotiate, and the workaround

is to mess with the LLDP settings on the switch ethernet ports.

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=AP-275+LLDP+poe&filter=labels

• 8.  RE: Intermittent I flag on AP-275

Posted Dec 01, 2014 05:48 PM

Thanks for the tip!

Edit:

These are Avaya switches, so apparently not fixed in 6.4.2.2 for these..

Hardware: ERS-4850-GTS-EWR-PLUS

Firmware: 5.6.2.1

Software: 5.6.3.024