Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Internal DHCP via Captive Portal

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Internal DHCP via Captive Portal

Posted Feb 10, 2012 07:28 PM

Firstly, thanks to all the people, particularly Colin, who have helped me over the last few weeks.   I am deploying my first Aruba wireless network next week and all your help has been fantastic and greatly appreciated.

I have configured a captive portal for guest access and created a unique VLAN to place guest traffic in.   This VLAN is logically separated from the corporate network and I have configued the internal DHCP servers to handle DHCP requests with the DNS servers configured as two external public DHCP servers.

My question is what firewall rule(s) do I need to apply to ensure that guest users can access the internal DHCP server?  Is it:

source: any

destination: <IP address of controller>

service: dhcp

Crowdie

• 2.  RE: Internal DHCP via Captive Portal

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 10, 2012 10:59 PM

The rule you need for users to access the dhcp server is:

any any service svc-dhcp

Please see an article why it should be that way here:  http://kb.arubanetworks.com/cgi-bin/arubanetworks.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=533

• 3.  RE: Internal DHCP via Captive Portal

Posted Feb 10, 2012 11:31 PM

Is there any way we can lock down the DHCP so only the wireless LAN controller can respond?

Could we use rules such as

any  controller svc-dhc permit

controller any svc-dhcp permit

any any svc-dhcp drop

Crowdie

• 4.  RE: Internal DHCP via Captive Portal

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 11, 2012 12:32 AM

No, because a DHCP packet does not necessarily have a layer 3 destination or source address.   DHCP renewals are usually a unicast to the old DHCP server, but that is about it.  Please read the explanation on the link I posted earlier.

You can stop any other clients from searving up  DHCP by  adding this:

user any udp 68 deny

That will deny any user from answering a DHCP request.