Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Internal WiFi network reporting "Unauthenticated" on Domain clients

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Internal WiFi network reporting "Unauthenticated" on Domain clients

Posted Sep 12, 2013 04:28 PM

Hello all,

I have a problem that I'm trying to solve with my wireless network, and I'm out of ideas. On Monday I came in and had a user tell me their network was showing as "Unauthenticated" when they connected to WiFi. Previously, the WiFi was working properly and providing access to internal services, etc with no problems. I'm using Server 2008 as my Radius server, and in the 802.1X Authentication Server group I take the filter-id that I send from my radius server (authenticated) and use that to set the user role. I can verify in the monitoring section of the dashboard that the client does in fact get set to authenticated, and I get no errors in my Radius server event logs. The network works fine on mobile devices from what I have been able to test.

Has anyone seen this and/or have any ideas? Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Internal WiFi network reporting "Unauthenticated" on Domain clients

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 12, 2013 04:29 PM

What does the MS server logs show?

• 3.  RE: Internal WiFi network reporting "Unauthenticated" on Domain clients

Posted Sep 12, 2013 04:32 PM
      |   view attached

See attached. It says full access is granted because the computer matched the health policy, which is the normal message when users log in.

• 4.  RE: Internal WiFi network reporting "Unauthenticated" on Domain clients

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 12, 2013 04:34 PM

Are these users experiencing an issue?

• 5.  RE: Internal WiFi network reporting "Unauthenticated" on Domain clients

Posted Sep 12, 2013 04:41 PM
      |   view attached

Yes, that entry in the log was actually my authentication. Here is where I see the "Unauthenticated" message. The network also displays "Limited Access"...

• 6.  RE: Internal WiFi network reporting "Unauthenticated" on Domain clients

Posted Sep 12, 2013 04:51 PM

It looks like somehow in the DHCP scope (Also on a Windows Server) the router settings had been cleared out. When I added in the gateway address for this network back into the router field, I was able to gain access back into all my resources. Thanks for the help.

• 7.  RE: Internal WiFi network reporting "Unauthenticated" on Domain clients
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 12, 2013 07:59 PM
    When this happens can you see the device showing up in the user-table ?

Do you get a valid IP address or a 169.x.x.x ?

Do see the eap request making it to the radius server ? , can you run the show auth-tracebuf to see that process or check the auth logs in NPS ?

Does happen on a certain VLAN ?

You should try enabling logging level debugging security subcat aaa on the controller this might tell whats going on when this occurs

• 8.  RE: Internal WiFi network reporting "Unauthenticated" on Domain clients

Posted May 15, 2018 06:18 AM

halo victor,

what expected result and what need to do for this?

can you explain briefly

thank you