Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Is PEFNG required for wireless to function?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Is PEFNG required for wireless to function?

Posted Dec 06, 2014 06:00 PM

Hello Forum,

I have 2 7210 controllers with some ap-225. I only purchased AP-license with it- no PEFNG-

i want to know would I be able to setup 802.1x (to active directory)on the employee SSID without PEFNG?

I know PEFNG is for the firewalling and the role based access. So can someone clarify that for me please.

thank you.

#AP225

• 2.  RE: Is PEFNG required for wireless to function?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 06, 2014 06:02 PM
    Yes, you can do 1X without PEFNG but everyone will receive the same role once they pass auth.

• 3.  RE: Is PEFNG required for wireless to function?

Posted Dec 06, 2014 10:47 PM

master-local,

I want to back up Tim's post and say that yes, 802.1x and wireless will work fine without PEFNG. We ran a 802.1x network for about four years with the base license, and we used server group rules to seperate students and faculty to diffrent VLANs based on RADIUS classes. It works great.

We recently went to the PEFNG license on our controller refresh (7210 like yourself) to gain some flexibliity with roles and to firewall users at the controller instead of the VLAN. But it is not required for operation!

Aaron

• 4.  RE: Is PEFNG required for wireless to function?

Posted Dec 15, 2014 04:39 PM
    Thank you guys for the rapid response.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device