Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Is it possible to import Flashbackup.tar.gz from a 3200 controller to a 7010 controller?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Is it possible to import Flashbackup.tar.gz from a 3200 controller to a 7010 controller?

Posted Mar 25, 2015 12:13 PM

Hello everybody,

my simple question is: is it possible to export Flashbackup.tar.gz from a 3200XM and restore it on a 7010? Because I am trying to do it, but when I issue the Restore Flash command on the 7010, this is the output I get:

(Aruba7010) #restore flash
    Please wait while we uncompress /flash/config/flashbackup.tar.gz...
    Please wait while we untar /flash/config/flashbackup.tar.gz...
    Error untar'ing file.

Thank you very much for your help

Alessandro

• 2.  RE: Is it possible to import Flashbackup.tar.gz from a 3200 controller to a 7010 controller?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 26, 2015 08:09 PM

Theoretically, you should be able to.  Try to tar the flash again and restore it, just in case your original .tar is corrupted.

• 3.  RE: Is it possible to import Flashbackup.tar.gz from a 3200 controller to a 7010 controller?

Posted Mar 27, 2015 03:19 AM

Thank you Colin,

I tried several times uploading the file with TFTP with no success.

I just tried with FTP and it works. So the answer is YES, it is possible to migrate from 3200XM to 7010, but maybe it's better to use FTP to import the backup.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Kindly,

Alessandro

• 4.  RE: Is it possible to import Flashbackup.tar.gz from a 3200 controller to a 7010 controller?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 27, 2015 07:20 AM

hi Alessandro

a word of caution, when you move the config from a smaller controler to larger, you need to reset the following

(sg-7030) #configure terminal no dot1x high-watermark
    (sg-7030) #configure terminal no dot1x stm-throttling-percent

else you will inherit the smaller platforms dot1x throttle values (oversight by Aruba) which means the performance of the larger controller may not be realised

regards

-jeff

• 5.  RE: Is it possible to import Flashbackup.tar.gz from a 3200 controller to a 7010 controller?

Posted Mar 28, 2015 02:43 AM

Thank you Jeff,

do you mean that, even issuing those commands you suggested, it is possible that the performance of the new controller will be reduced by importing the flashbackup.tar.gz from the old 3200XM?

Thank you

Alessandro

• 6.  RE: Is it possible to import Flashbackup.tar.gz from a 3200 controller to a 7010 controller?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 28, 2015 02:52 AM

if you forget to enter these commands, then yes, the flash backup from the smaller controller can cause the newer controller to start to throttle dot1x traffic before it needs to be (due to the lower throttling values imported from the smaller controller).

This only becomes evident after you scale up and add more users/APs on the newer platform, you probably wouldn't notice it directly after the upgrade as the load would be about the same (assuming no new APs introduced at same time etc.)

regards

-jef

• 7.  RE: Is it possible to import Flashbackup.tar.gz from a 3200 controller to a 7010 controller?

Posted Mar 28, 2015 03:13 AM

We are migrating + adding some new APs.

Following your suggestion, I imported the Flashbackup and then issued the dot1x commands. 

Thank you very much for your help.

Kind regards

Alessandro