Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Is there a way to turn on AirGroup per AP or AP group? Or is it only by vlan?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Is there a way to turn on AirGroup per AP or AP group? Or is it only by vlan?

Posted Apr 14, 2014 10:01 AM

Currently we are using a single vlan pool with default roles. We are not using clearpass. We want to phase in AirGroup so we can monitor the traffic and usage, but with a single vlan pool it seems that we would have to turn it on for all vlans for it to work correctly. Am I missing something in the AP or AP group settings?

• 2.  RE: Is there a way to turn on AirGroup per AP or AP group? Or is it only by vlan?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 22, 2014 09:41 AM

Airgroup is used to selectively allow advertisements to users, or groups of users.  Airgroup built into  the controller allows you to determine who sees what based on VLAN or User Group.  Using ClearPass Policy Manager, you can get as granular as ap-group or specific AP if you wanted.

• 3.  RE: Is there a way to turn on AirGroup per AP or AP group? Or is it only by vlan?

Posted Apr 22, 2014 12:15 PM

But without ClearPass Policy Manager you cannot? Is that correct? We don't have clearpass and I've been told that I can turn it on by ap-group by our Aruba Engineer, but I don't think we can phase it in by ap-group with just the ArubaOS. 

• 4.  RE: Is there a way to turn on AirGroup per AP or AP group? Or is it only by vlan?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 22, 2014 12:16 PM

Can we understand what you are trying to accomplish, first?

• 5.  RE: Is there a way to turn on AirGroup per AP or AP group? Or is it only by vlan?

Posted Apr 22, 2014 12:23 PM

We want to phase in Airgroup so we can monitor MDNS traffic. It would be easy to do if we had our vlans seperated, but we are using a single vlan pool. If we were to turn on airgroup per vlan in a phased in approach we wouldn't be able to manage people in a single building being able to hit Airgroup. If we could turn it on per ap-group we could phase airgroup in by building because our ap-groups are building based. With that being said we don't have clearpass or a role management design that would be applicable in this case.

I have been told that I can just turn it on for all vlans and performance won't be effected, but in regards to testing traffic it is a risky approach to just turn it on all over our campus. Hence the question of turning it on by ap-group or restriciting it to certain ap-groups.

• 6.  RE: Is there a way to turn on AirGroup per AP or AP group? Or is it only by vlan?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 22, 2014 12:30 PM

When you say monitor MDNS traffic, what do you mean?

• 7.  RE: Is there a way to turn on AirGroup per AP or AP group? Or is it only by vlan?

Posted Apr 22, 2014 12:48 PM

Multicast traffic essentially. In relation to how this has been addressed in the previous environment it was a matter of turning on multicast between their vlans. From what I have heard described, Airgroup cuts a lot of that traffic out by identifying clients and servers so there really isn't much of an increase. Would you agree with that?

• 8.  RE: Is there a way to turn on AirGroup per AP or AP group? Or is it only by vlan?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 22, 2014 12:52 PM
    The idea of Airgroup is two things:

Proxy multicast requests so that users across subnets can see devices advertising services
    Allow the administrator to turn on drop broadcast and multicast on the virtual ap and still support multicast DNS across subnets.

The problem with multicast DNS is when it is seen in the air, not necessarily on the wire. If you turn on drop broadcast and multicast on the virtual ap AND turn on air group you should be fine.

• 9.  RE: Is there a way to turn on AirGroup per AP or AP group? Or is it only by vlan?

Posted Apr 22, 2014 12:59 PM

Thanks for the input. We already have drop broadcast and multicast on the virtual APs. It is just a matter of turning Airgroup on for all vlans (single vlan pool) to allow it to work in any building between client-server. I have just been using all my resources to gain insight into when we turn on Airgroup.

• 10.  RE: Is there a way to turn on AirGroup per AP or AP group? Or is it only by vlan?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 22, 2014 01:01 PM

Well,

I hope I didn't just add to the confusion....

• 11.  RE: Is there a way to turn on AirGroup per AP or AP group? Or is it only by vlan?

Posted Apr 22, 2014 01:09 PM

Not at all. I believe that we should be able to run Airgroup without any issue. Which I have had many Aruba sources tell me. I have just been advised to inquire about ways to phase it in before we try an all or nothing approach. Without clearpass it just looks like we have the option of turning it on by vlan. And with the single vlanpool it just backs use into a corner of doing it on all vlans or designing an alternative vlan structure. One way or another we will be turning it on! :smileyhappy:

• 12.  RE: Is there a way to turn on AirGroup per AP or AP group? Or is it only by vlan?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 22, 2014 01:15 PM

Okay.  Upgrade to 6.3.1.6 first if you decide to do that.

airgroup.png

• 13.  RE: Is there a way to turn on AirGroup per AP or AP group? Or is it only by vlan?

Posted Apr 22, 2014 01:28 PM

Will do, thanks for the warning.