Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Issue - Client connectivity loose ArubaOS 8.6.0.5 with AP-505

This thread has been viewed 47 times
  • 1.  Issue - Client connectivity loose ArubaOS 8.6.0.5 with AP-505

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Sep 04, 2020 07:24 AM

Hi best of the best,

I have a strange issue i struggle for a while now, i got the same issue in my HomeLAB (even after fresh install anything) and most worse at one my customers. After have long sessions with TAC the issue still exsist and is hard to reproduce :(.

Enviroment HomeLAB: 2xVMC / ArubaOS 8.6.0.5 / AP-505 / L2 Cluster / Tunneled mode / WPA2-Personal / 5Ghz only / 40mhz/ / tx15dBm

Enviroment Customer: 2x7205 / ArubaOS 8.6.0.5 / AP-505 / L2 Cluster / Tunneled mode / WPA2-Personal / 5Ghz only. / 40mhz / tx15dBm

Situation:

When a user connect to the WiFi its connected and secured without internet connectivity don't get a DHCP. I can see that 802.11 association and authentication is succeeded. But because it have no DHCP its not in the user-table or get a user-role (normal behavior). When the client walk to a neighbour AP, it directly get a DCHP lease from the external DHCP server and have connectivity. When walk back to the first AP, the roaming works fine and the client stay active for the rest of the day.

At home i have almost the same situation, after working hours without any issues the WiFi drops. I still have 802.11 association and authentication succeeded (no de-auth), still have a IP from the early session, but can't ping my default gateway anymore. This happens after lunch while i was maybe set in power-save mode. I pickup my laptop, walk to the first floor and connectivity is back normal. Walking back to my second floor and stay connected for hours.

I have a lot of customers and focus this issue only on ArubaOS8.6.x.x with the AP-505. In both senario's i have the HE SSID disabled. Looks like a roaming issue or so, but roaming itself work correct when i look at the 802.11 management frames.

I see this happend with windows 10, iPhones, Andriod, any devices. My intel driver AX200 are updated and because it happens on many different clients its not a client issue. Because iám walking back to the first AP (and same channel) there is also no channel or RF issue, no radar events, good snr, etc.

It must be something else, inside the cluster UAC/AAC etc. I cant figure it and keep struggling for a while. Please help my out and give my sleeping hours back (Lol).

What i learn from the "show user mac ..." output is that when the connectivity is loosed i see the A2c_SM SeqNum, OldNum is 0,0. When connectivity is back it have 3,0. But i don't known what the A2c_SM means.

Some help should be very nice!

• 2.  RE: Issue - Client connectivity loose ArubaOS 8.6.0.5 with AP-505

Posted Sep 30, 2020 03:36 PM

Do you have DHCP logs from when the connection is failing?

• 3.  RE: Issue - Client connectivity loose ArubaOS 8.6.0.5 with AP-505

Posted Feb 02, 2021 11:32 PM
    Hi mkk,

My customer  is experiencing similar behaviour as yours, and its killing us lol.

Have you manage to resolve the issue?

For what we know so far, many people have suggested disabling High Efficiency (AX). However, using AX is part of the reason buying AP 505.

Support have verified there is performance issue bug and release note about enhancing AP 505 driver in 8.7.1.1.
    I am waiting for the upgrade window and hopefully the issue gets resolved.

BR
    David

------------------------------
    David Adino

• 4.  RE: Issue - Client connectivity loose ArubaOS 8.6.0.5 with AP-505

Posted Mar 04, 2022 06:22 AM
    Hello,

I want to pick up this discussion for further documentation, if you hit the issue that clients will not connect to an AP-505 at 8.6.x release.
    Because this thread will be an google hit if you search for this issue...

Actually I was informed by an customer, that the connection to an SSID with WPA2 PSK authentication at one particular AP-505 fails (mobility conductor, md cluster environment).
    The issue was reproducable, and shows up as follows:

• Older devices, like Galaxy S5 NEO, will try to connect but will not be successfully without any error message.
    • If an older AP, AP-305 with an open ssid and captive portal for instance, is around, the device will connect there
    • Newer devices supporting AX, for example IPhone 12, will throw an connection error

If you issue auth-tracebuf, you will see messages until wpa2-key4 but the user never will show up at the user table.
    It's interesting, that in some cases the user will be shown on the user list at mobility conductor GUI and entrys for active and standby controller but without IP address.
    But as wrote before, if you issue show user-table, the client will not show up at cli.
    Of course the device will also get no IP address and will not shown at the ARP table at default GW.

In this chase, we got nearly 40 AP-505's purchased at quater 3 of 2020.
    All AP's of that batch are working fine and are not affected.
    A couple of months later, we added one AP-505.
    Only this one AP-505 is effected by the issue.

I was able to fix the issue with disabeling high efficiency for that particular SSID.
    This workaround was necessary at version 8.6.0.16.

The release notes of 8.7.1.1 (AOS controller based, I did not find it at instant release) does contain a driver update for AP-505.
    The bug ID's AOS-207318, AOS-207996 were fixed by that release with the description: "Clients experienced poor performance with AP-505
    access points running ArubaOS 8.7.0.0 or later
    versions. Enhancements to the wireless driver
    resolved this issue.".

Because of that, I decided to update the whole infrasructure (conductors, MD's, AP's) to 8.7.1.8.
    And, yes, with 8.7.1.8 the issue is gone.
    With enabled HE, the connection to that one AP was successfully again!

So may, a batch of AP-505's will have this issue, others not.
    May some little differences in the hardware, or something else?
    However, for this setup, the issue was only resolvable by updating to 8.7.1.8 (not tested with 8.7.1.1 - 8.7.1.7 or instant releases).

Unfortunately, 8.7.x is still not at conservative state....

Best regards, mom