Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Issue with LACP on aruba IAP

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  Issue with LACP on aruba IAP

Posted Sep 05, 2018 09:44 AM

Hi,

I am having a weird situation with a remote site, I have x2 HP 2540 switches and IAP all managed via Aruba central.

I configured a static lacp trunk to aggregate two cables to one on the switches and connected the IAP without any further configuration on the IAP's.

I noticed after a while the network connection just keeps dropping, the ISP said they can see a high bandwidth usage which means the connection keeps crashes because it keeps reaching its limit. 

What I have done so far is replace one the switch and broken LACP link, which seems to stabilize the network, is there a particular way to configure LACP in other to use both ethernet port on the IAP. below is how I configured the static LACP on the switch;

"trunk 2,3 trk1 lacp"

Is there a best practice to setup LACP on a switch port?

• 2.  RE: Issue with LACP on aruba IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 05, 2018 11:20 AM

What is driving the requirement for LACP to the APs?

Are you seeing logs a the switch or AP indicating a problem with the LACP configuration?

• 3.  RE: Issue with LACP on aruba IAP

Posted Sep 05, 2018 11:43 AM

When LACP was enabled on the switch for the AP's, on checking the switch log it kept showing random ports going offline and online even though the endpoint could be a printer or pc, and the network links keeps dropping, on disabling lacp across the AP's those random port stopped going offline has stopped, and the network seems stable.

my question is after configuring lacp on the switch, do  I do anything on the IAP (virtual controller)?

is this the right method to enable static lacp

trunk <port-list> trkx lacp?

• 4.  RE: Issue with LACP on aruba IAP

Posted Sep 05, 2018 11:44 AM

When LACP was enabled on the switch for the AP's, on checking the switch log it kept showing random ports going offline and online even though the endpoint could be a printer or pc, and the network links keeps dropping, on disabling LACP across the AP's those random port stopped going offline has stopped, and the network seems stable.

my question is after configuring LACP on the switch, do  I do anything on the IAP (virtual controller)?

is this the right method to enable static LACP

trunk <port-list> trk1 LACP?

• 5.  RE: Issue with LACP on aruba IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 05, 2018 12:34 PM

The IAP supports dynamic LACP by default. The HP switch should as well. If the preference is to use static LACP, both sides should be configured to match.

This link should help with the IAP side and troubleshooting whether the IAP sees the LACP link as active or not. https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/LACP-configuration-support-on-IAP/ta-p/267467

• 6.  RE: Issue with LACP on aruba IAP

Posted Sep 05, 2018 12:40 PM

Is this done on the virtual controller which then pushes the setting to the rest of the IAP's in the group?

• 7.  RE: Issue with LACP on aruba IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 05, 2018 01:01 PM

@wilson.onuoha wrote:

Is this done on the virtual controller which then pushes the setting to the rest of the IAP's in the group?

From the link I sent:

Note : LACP configuration is per-ap settings and it is supported only on following IAPs 224, 225, 324 and 325.

It is per IAP, each AP needs to be configured if it is connecting to a static LACP aggregate.

• 8.  RE: Issue with LACP on aruba IAP

Posted Sep 05, 2018 01:11 PM

The document shows LACP needs to be enabled per AP, however other configurations are managed via the virtual controller in Aruba central, what if one has over 100 AP's do we have to go through all AP's?

Also on our main site, we have got a 7030 controller and we only configured LACP on the switch and not on the AP's (325 model)

• 9.  RE: Issue with LACP on aruba IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 05, 2018 01:18 PM

@wilson.onuoha wrote:

The document shows LACP needs to be enabled per AP, however other configurations are managed via the virtual controller in Aruba central, what if one has over 100 AP's do we have to go through all AP's?

Then dynamic LACP should be used as it is enabled by default.

@wilson.onuoha wrote:

Also on our main site, we have got a 7030 controller and we only configured LACP on the switch and not on the AP's (325 model)

While many features are similar between Instant and controller based, some features are implemented quite different due to the architectural differences between the two solutions.

• 10.  RE: Issue with LACP on aruba IAP

Posted Sep 06, 2018 04:23 AM

Even with a static LACP configured on the switch that should't make the network flap should it?, or is that a common symptom of incomplete LACP configuration?

• 11.  RE: Issue with LACP on aruba IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 06, 2018 09:52 AM

@wilson.onuoha wrote:

Even with a static LACP configured on the switch that should't make the network flap should it?, or is that a common symptom of incomplete LACP configuration?

Yes. With a misconfigured LACP group, a loop could be created in the network which would show symptoms as you've described. 

• 12.  RE: Issue with LACP on aruba IAP

Posted Sep 06, 2018 10:12 AM

But I have spanning-tree enabled, and the network was stable for months after the initial configuration.

• 13.  RE: Issue with LACP on aruba IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 06, 2018 10:52 AM

@wilson.onuoha wrote:

But I have spanning-tree enabled, and the network was stable for months after the initial configuration.

The link I referenced also includes the commands to validate that LACP is operating as expected from the AP's perspective. You should also verify the same from the switch's perspective.

It's possible there was a loop elsewhere in the network not related to the AP's connection.