Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Issues Reconnecting To Redirecting Login Portal

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Issues Reconnecting To Redirecting Login Portal

Posted Jan 13, 2012 04:17 PM

We have an Aruba 3400 Controller running OS 6.0.1.3_28554 at our school.  I have a redirecting login portal setup on the controller that requires the user to login (uses a single user name and password) and then it redirects the students to our homepage.  When students login for the first time each day everything works fine, but if they are disconnected from the network, sometimes they are not able to reconnect to the network.  They can get to the authentication webpage, but when they enter username and password and click login, it just reloads the login page.  I have to manually go into wireless controller and remove the student’s computer from the client list under the wireless network before they are able to successfully reconnect.  The students mainly use Internet Explorer to connect.   Does anyone have any idea of what could be causing this?  Thanks.  

• 2.  RE: Issues Reconnecting To Redirecting Login Portal

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 13, 2012 11:11 PM

wcbelk,

Is this all of your clients?  Did you try handhelds?

Nothing immediate comes to mind.

Please open a case if you want this resolved more quickly, or we can turn on client debugging to see the state of the client when this happens:

config t

logging level debug user

show log user 50

• 3.  RE: Issues Reconnecting To Redirecting Login Portal

Posted Jan 14, 2012 12:30 AM

I know that we've had a good number of students that this has happened to (at least 10-12).  I will turn on debugging when we go back on Tuesday.

Do you think the reconnection issue comes from the user already being list as connected to that SSID?  After I disconnect them they are able to authenticate and get on the network.

• 4.  RE: Issues Reconnecting To Redirecting Login Portal

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 14, 2012 03:55 AM
    This has happened only 10 or 12 times since you have had the controller?
    Can the client ping his/her default gateway?
    Are you sure that the client did not just fail authentication?
    Do you have a custom login page?

• 5.  RE: Issues Reconnecting To Redirecting Login Portal

Posted Jan 17, 2012 08:50 AM

This has happened only 10 or 12 times since you have had the controller?

It happened 10-12 times last semester, maybe more since I'm getting the reports second hand.

Haven't tried that yet.  We'll try it the next time we see the issue.

Are you sure that the client did not just fail authentication?

They are able to get on the internet and use it for a period of time, then they get disconnected for whatever reason and are not able to reconnect.  Their wireless status still shows them as connect to the SSID,but all they can get to on their browser is the webportal.  I've tried to reconnect them by logging in to the web portal, but I get the same results.  After hitting login it returns you to the webportal page.

Do you have a custom login page?

Yes we have a custom web portal.  The only modifications that I made were to the background image and the location of the login box.  I moved it over to the right so that it wouldn't cover our School Logo.

• 6.  RE: Issues Reconnecting To Redirecting Login Portal

Posted Jan 17, 2012 10:49 AM

Haven't tried that yet.  We'll try it the next time we see the issue.

We had the issue happen about 30 minutes ago.  We tested and the user can ping the default gateway even though they can not get passed the web portal page.