Wireless Access

Highlighted
Guru Elite

Re: Issues while gaming on wireless

Ok.

I would uncheck 80mhz support.  There are not many 80mhz channels by default and it is possible that they are interfering with each other.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
Aruba VIA ASE Solution - Configure VIA VPN
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

Agreed that disabling scanning has multiple negatives -- but if we are defining gaming as a critical application, then there only a few items that can help that directly.  We already have:

video-aware-scan If enabled, AP will not scan if video session is in
progress Default: Enabled
voip-aware-scan If enabled, AP will not scan if VoIP call is in
progress Default: Enabled

Is there a setting that would disable scanning when any client is connected to the AP?  It's description isn't worded quite the same but perhaps:

client-aware If enabled, AP will not change channels when there are
active clients. Default: Enabled

would be enough to keep off channel scans from occurring?

Highlighted
Guru Elite

100% of gaming environments work with scanning enabled.  Scanning does not occur long enough or often enough to match the issues you are seeing.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Guru Elite

In addition, gaming is not a voip or video application, so it is not covered by those knobs.

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

cjoseph,

Respectfully, I wasn't trying to say those knobs were directly related to this issue, just as examples that those knobs exist for items that are latency sensitive (voice/video).  Since there is a supported mechanism to stop them from causing trouble, then it seems that off channel scanning can have some (negative) impact.

To your point, how long does the AP spend with off channel scanning?  Is it long enough to hear beacons?  If our beacon rate is 102.4ms, with a small buffer bringing it up to a hypothetical 105ms scan time, that introduces 105ms of jitter into the equation and for games that are latency sensititve, that jitter can get perceived in different ways (lag/rubber banding/etc).

Just my $0.02 and I could be way off base.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

periodic nature of this issue does not kind of "noise / interference / channel switching issue". 

in-game overlay shows ping like

it's looks like a scheduled jobs on AP.

Highlighted
Guru Elite

@kurtisg wrote:

cjoseph,

Respectfully, I wasn't trying to say those knobs were directly related to this issue, just as examples that those knobs exist for items that are latency sensitive (voice/video).  Since there is a supported mechanism to stop them from causing trouble, then it seems that off channel scanning can have some (negative) impact.

To your point, how long does the AP spend with off channel scanning?  Is it long enough to hear beacons?  If our beacon rate is 102.4ms, with a small buffer bringing it up to a hypothetical 105ms scan time, that introduces 105ms of jitter into the equation and for games that are latency sensititve, that jitter can get perceived in different ways (lag/rubber banding/etc).

Just my $0.02 and I could be way off base.

@kurtisg,

I was answering @xocolate who was asking about turning off the scanning knob.  To be frank, I don't know anything about his network, so I have to discuss things based on the likelihood that things will actually work.  I am not knocking your idea about scanning, I was just talking about the possibility that it would be causing his issue.  If turning off scanning fixed your issue, you are free to chime in and mention specifics.  This is an open forum and everyone can share their experiences.

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Highlighted
Guru Elite

@xocolate wrote:

periodic nature of this issue does not kind of "noise / interference / channel switching issue". 

in-game overlay shows ping like

it's looks like a scheduled jobs on AP.

Scanning occurs about once every 10 seconds for less than 100 miliseconds.  And quite frankly, clients also scan other channels at the same time they are connected to an access point.  If your chart shows all of the pings going through but the response time goes up from 60 miliseconds to 120 miliseconds, something as small as other people using the wifi or using the same channel as you, or other unprioritized traffic on the same laptop can generate the same results.  Since all of your pings are going through, that is not a cause for concern.  Pings are also much less forgiving than TCP gaming traffic so I would expect that if TCP gaming traffic is being dropped, that ping traffic would be dropped way before that.

Please also make sure that on all of your SSIDs, under advanced, "Broadcast Filter ARP" is enabled so that you are not competing against excess broadcast traffic.

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

some latest statistics while gamming 

pings:

12 x 1ms pings
Ответ от 10.10.10.1: число байт=32 время=1426мс TTL=64
6 x 1ms pings
Ответ от 10.10.10.1: число байт=32 время=2208мс TTL=64
36 x 1ms pings
Ответ от 10.10.10.1: число байт=32 время=1703мс TTL=64
88 x 1ms pings
Ответ от 10.10.10.1: число байт=32 время=2207мс TTL=64
78 x 1ms pings
Ответ от 10.10.10.1: число байт=32 время=2494мс TTL=64
37 x 1ms pings
Ответ от 10.10.10.1: число байт=32 время=2191мс TTL=64
39 x 1ms pings
Ответ от 10.10.10.1: число байт=32 время=1833мс TTL=64
72 x 1ms pings
Ответ от 10.10.10.1: число байт=32 время=2558мс TTL=64
83 x 1ms pings

captured traffic in high ping moment

Screenshot_9.png

Screenshot_10.png

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

Looks like i'm on my way to solve issue. 

Yesterday, i made some tunning on client side. Killer Network Wilresess Adapter came with software which is provide QOS-like features for specific application. So i pick game as high priority app and huge lags are gone for now. 

Tomorow i will check this idea more deeply and try to use external USB Wi-Fi dongle. 

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: